Kmn04 + CH3OH

Alchymist

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what would happen in a reaction between pottsasium permanganate and methanol? I have heard many things about Kmn04 and petrol and was wondering wether whis would work.

Thanks in advance

KMnO4 is a very powerful oxidizer and would normally oxidize an alcohol to the carboxylic acid, but formic acid is itself oxidation sensitive and readily converts to carbon dioxide and water.

If you refer to the hypergol of KMnO4 and glycerin/glycerol, no it won't work with methanol. Methanol and it's oxidation products are too volatile and would boil off before reaching ignition temperature. Generally speaking, it needs to be a polyol of some kind.

Oh :)

Thanks mate, i have seen this reaction on youtube but i was looking for something a little more... spectacular... a little more explosive? i have adequate fuses ect. but would like something that detonates rather than deflagrates, although violent deflagration such as that of Kmn04 and petrol or manganese heptoxide but i dont have access to sulphuric acid :(

Discussion of explosives of any kind is against the rules of this forum. Either settle for some interesting aqueous chemistry or this thread will be locked.