About Windows Registry.......

albertlee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just open one up and have a look around. Usually the layout is pretty standard and they're not hard to figure out. Just don't save any changes you make unless you either like breaking things or you know what you're doing ;)

Ummmmm... :rolleyes:

then how can the programmers know how to do configuration files for their programs? Do they all have to try on it one by one?

Any way , I think there must be some tools/information about it.... :)

Albert

The configuration file is just a file with a pre-determined (usually by the programmer) template. It's pretty simplistic in syntax so that the function used to read the file is easy to code (and hence it's easy to store settings to disk). Windows programs tend to use the registry for this though.

OK, so, is there any information about it,still? although the syntax is easy, but the functions are too many.....

One of the function I know is [autorun] which is used for burning into a CD, but I think there are plenty of them which are useful..

Can any body tell me any reference on the function of .ini files?

Albert

Are you wanting to know so you can enable/disable something, such as EAX etc or just know for the sake of knowing ? If your wanting to do something, it would be easier for us to just tell you how to do it. But I agree with everything Dave has said.

thx' date=' Dave, that links provide information about the syntax.....:)

And more over,

[b']Does any one know any place to find the reference of all the functions about ini files?[/b]

Albert

There's far too many ini files hanging around windows to list what every single one does. You're better off looking at individual cases.

I mean, not to list all the ini files and tell me what are they used for... :embarass:

but what I want to know is, where to find the refernce about all its sections ([xxx])? in order to make/edit our own ini files which works as we want? :)

Albert

An INI file stores data inherant to one specific application or program.

If you want to make your own INI file, then it's pretty much useless without an application to go with it.

I guess a part of explorer.exe handles autorun.ini.

If you want to make your own program, making an ini file is not exactly the hardest of issues. They have set format, but you basically fill in the gaps so if you read up on the format then it's pretty easy to create one.

Ok, that is what I am always asking....

although, you know the format, then how are you going to apply the format to use the function, if you dont know any section ([xxx]), then all I know is just plain syntax.....

It is quite helpless really....

Any idea?

Albert

but, when I am programming in Java, my tutor never tell me anything using Java to do ini files....

which programming language is likely using ini files? either VB or C or all the .Net programming language?

Albert

Although I am not quite understanding that.....

still, I never find a use on ini files when I am programming in Java......

Since ini files are used for configuration for applications, why applications need ini files? what is ini file really used for?

Albert