About Windows Registry.......

albertlee

As long as my computer problems related to Windows Registry...

I would like to ask, where does Windows store its Windows Registry?

Do windows function base on Windows Registry?

How about DLL?

Apreciate for furthur responds

Albert

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows (and a lot of its programs) uses the registry in place of lots of preference files to store details about what settings you've customized. It keeps a lot of the clutter out of the filesystem, and it keeps it organized (to a certain degree). The registry is stored somewhere deep in the windows directories where you're not likely to find it :)

DLLs are just shared libraries; I'm not sure where they come into what you're asking?

Well,dave....

For Windows Registry...I wonder why some people know Registry very well? More over, I dont think even a programmer would probably know it well...........

Any way, which programming language is likely dealing with Registry?

Is Registry likely to be Windows's kernel?

And Since windows has Registry? How about Linux? How does it manage all its setting?

Secondly, for DLLs, I know they are just dlls, but some people say we can use RunDlls32 to do settings like Windows Registry.....

Does any one know what is RunDll32 and how does it work?

Apreciate for furthur responds

Albert

You can execute dormant DLL's by typing an execution line in the run command box - people know registry very well because it's extremely handy to know. Aside from the illegal positives, it's behind at least 70% of computer problems, especially when it comes to games etc.

According to Fudyomo,

what is the point of executing DLLs by using Rundll32? What kind of functions do Windows DLL offer, and apart from Registry?

Secondly, again, since people know Registry very well, but how? What kind of programming language is likely dealing with Windows Registry?

Albert

All kinds of programming languages have some kind of interface to the windows registry. It's an important part of the system and to not have access to it is a bit silly really.

So, dave, how do programmers learn Windows Registry?

Since I am a java programmer, my tutor never teaches any thing on Java related to Windows Registry.......

So, how do programmers learn Windows Registry?

Secondly, again, what is the point of executing DLLs by using Rundll32? What kind of functions do Windows DLL offer, and apart from Registry?

Albert

Mainly by buying books on it tbh :) I have a rather large on sitting on my shelf at home. DLLs offer all kinds of functions from windows and objects on screen to menus and pointers and all sorts. Read up on the Windows API for more details.

The registry has little to do with programing directly. You dont need to know a programming language to edit the registry. You just go to start, run, and type reg edit. (Dont change anything unless you know what you are doing!!!)

My one is for Windows 95, so I'm not up to date on the latest books. Can't really help you there. My advice would be to go onto amazon, search for some registry books and look at the reviews of them.

A lot of the windows settings (and settings for lots of other programs) are stored in the registry, and it's possible to tweak some here and there to enable certain features (it's what programs like TweakXP do). Also if you're going to program something that uses the registry, you need to have a little bit of a mess around before you start doing things with it.

A good way to start out is to 'tweak' the scores on those damn little windows games, you know, pinball etc. Just find the reg section and edit the file .... Ever completed minesweeper in 1 second ? I have :)

rofl

There's other things that you can do like hiding drives in My Computer' date=' removing Recycle Bin from the desktop, etc.[/quote']

I remember the recycle bin one, sadly it was in the experimental stage for me and I messed up big time - a format followed lol. But yeah, on my laptop here at uni I once won a bet for who could get the highest score on windows pinball, except for the fact I never opened the pinball game up hehe, oh well .... small things ...

beside Registry' date=' Can Windows Scripting be powerful to control windows?

ALbert[/quote']

Nothing can be really powerful at controling Windows, you have to do things the way windows wants you to. Thats why everyine hates it.

Unless you are writing programs that use the registry, and if you are there are probably better ways to write the program (like .ini for settings insteadt of the registry), the registry really is not all that important.

Aegir, I have seen many ini files in my computer, just for wondering something new...

what kind of codes are they?

Secondly, would Windows scripting be as powerful as Registry on the aspect of using windows? if so, then why Windows has both of them....since they are used for configuring windows.....

Albert

True. For most users, the registry is completely unimportant.

As I said, unless you have a specific reason to be messin with it, don't touch it. It causes a lot of hassle :)

Aegir' date=' I have seen many ini files in my computer, just for wondering something new...

[b']what kind of codes are they?[/b]

They're configuration files, and written in plain text.

Secondly, would Windows scripting be as powerful as Registry on the aspect of using windows? if so, then why Windows has both of them....since they are used for configuring windows.....

eh?

Scripting and the registry are two completely different things. Some scripts use the registry to store data and look up various things, that's about as far as the similarities go.