Need help mba vs phd

hemantuec

Hello Guys,

I have my Masters in EE and I am trying to figure out whether at this point( working for 3 years) I should go for my Phd in EE or gor for MBA.. I have been reading a lot on this subject and I am just more confused now. MBA in finance can get you a 6 figure salary right after school but for any other MBA ..it would be like 80k -90k. Also you spend about 100k to get that MBA if you go to a good school. Whereas for a Phd you can get aid so you dont have to shell out any money, the only draw back being that it will take me 4 years to get that PHD. And the salary would be around 90k after i graduate...I just dont know which way to go from here.. I am interested in either one. which makes it even tougher. I would appreciate if anyone can shed some more light on the subject..

Thanks

One thing you need to remember is that a combination of experience in electrical engineering and business will give you an edge in management in any engineering-related field -- there's nothing like a manager with actual experience in the field he's managing. So you can't just go by the statistics.

Hello Guys,

I have my Masters in EE and I am trying to figure out whether at this point( working for 3 years) I should go for my Phd in EE or gor for MBA.. I have been reading a lot on this subject and I am just more confused now. MBA in finance can get you a 6 figure salary right after school but for any other MBA ..it would be like 80k -90k. Also you spend about 100k to get that MBA if you go to a good school. Whereas for a Phd you can get aid so you dont have to shell out any money, the only draw back being that it will take me 4 years to get that PHD. And the salary would be around 90k after i graduate...I just dont know which way to go from here.. I am interested in either one. which makes it even tougher. I would appreciate if anyone can shed some more light on the subject..

Thanks

Neither sounds like you will be throwing away your future.

What would you most like to do for the next few years?

I'd avoid the PhD. If money is your primary objective, not love of the subject, you're going to be miserable spending 4 years living on Ramen noodles in a tiny apartment.

As others have said, if dollar signs are your sole motivation, then the MBA is a no-brainer. The journey, personality, and life objectives of the two degrees are so diametrically opposed, I don't even understand your dilemma (and why the only variable you mention is money), to be frank.