Subsitution of Burette for Titration

hydraliskdragon

I've been waiting to do titration with a standard solution of HCl to determine the concentration of anhydrous ammonia.

Would there be a substitute I could use without a Burette for accurate readings?

The one possible choice that I've figured was to manually drop the titrant from a beaker until endpoint but I'm not sure if it would be accurate enough.

Does anyone know of any other possible way's to carry out titration without a Burette and being as accurate as possible to a real Burette?

PS. Burette's are too expensive for me to buy at this time and the concentration of HCl is 0.15 mol/L.

I'm hoping he means aqueous ammonia...

try ebay. You can get a burette for like $20. Or get a good quality graduated syringe. The latter won't really save you much money and the accuracy will suffer.

You can add the HCl slowly with a dropping pipette and weigh the solution added. As much accuracy as your balance can give you, but a pain in the neck to do.

A decent burette will let you measure to 1% easilly and 0.1% if you are careful and know what you are doing. I think it's a good investment.

Whoops, I meant to say aqueous ammonia not anhydrous ammonia :P

Wait, since some of you suggested in using pipette, would marking the pipette with calibrated mL lines work for titration so I could determine just how much titrant I used?

I've seen many varieties of burettes but the cheaper ones seems to be made of acrylic. About $19 to $25 USD without shipping.

I am eventually planning on buying a glass burette but since it will be much later, I thought that I need a substitute while that time comes.

Whoops, I meant to say aqueous ammonia not anhydrous ammonia :P

Wait, since some of you suggested in using pipette, would marking the pipette with calibrated mL lines work for titration so I could determine just how much titrant I used?

I've seen many varieties of burettes but the cheaper ones seems to be made of acrylic. About $19 to $25 USD without shipping.

I am eventually planning on buying a glass burette but since it will be much later, I thought that I need a substitute while that time comes.

How will you accurately calibrate a pipette without another method of measuring....You could buy maybe a 5ml mohr pipette (and pipette bulb), but they're rather crude and probably not much cheaper than if you catch a deal on a burette.

My burette is kimax glass with teflon stopcock. $20 on ebay...you just need to have patience sometimes and don't go by ebay store prices. :)