Career Choices!

smarty_pants

Need help with deciding career choices!

I am a 15 yr old who has now come to the time to choose a pathway for my senior school subjects/

I have a few careers in mind and i would like you to tell me what the common characteristics are of this career if you could possibly do it!

Medicine

Civil Engineering/Buisness

Landscape management

Environmental Science

Could you please help me out?

Medicine: Much to learn, long hours during training (college, med school, residency), salary $100,000 + when done. Could be long hours depending on sub-specialty.

Environmental science: not quite so long in training and hours will be less. Salary much less, probably not above $70,000 with Ph.D.

Not familiar enough with the other 2 to comment.

What is landscape management? Sounds a bit fuzzy to me. Apologies to all landscape managers, but I would advise against such a study. I always advise against a study that would not be missed if it disappeared.

If doctors disappear, we're in trouble.

If (civil) engineers disappear, we're in trouble.

If we don't understand our environment, we can get into possibly even more trouble.

If nobody manages our landscape, we have to look at slightly more ugly sights... hardly a real problem.

I'd advise civil engineering, but then again, I'm an engineer and I love it (so I'm not objective). If you're creative, you enjoy maths/physics/chem (or you enjoy solving complex puzzles, or possibly you played a lot with Lego :D), then engineering might be something for you... although it's hard to say.

I'm not sure who you put "civil engineering/business" - they're quite different disciplines.

Im am going to have to say what I am surprised that no one has yet said;

"Do what makes you happiest."

I myself am driven off of what i want to do through what will help life in the best way and what makes me happiest.

I also would recomend medicine, and civil engineering, or environmental science, because:

medicine is very helpfull to humanity, and it pays great.

Engineering, well, im biased becuase I love engineering and as my engineering teacher says, engineering is engineering, so Its all good with me.

environmental science because that can also be very helpfull to all life forms, and It just going to get bigger and better as time progresses and we expand.

{Im kind of with the other guys on landscape managment, sorry.}

Need help with deciding career choices!

I am a 15 yr old who has now come to the time to choose a pathway for my senior school subjects/

I have a few careers in mind and i would like you to tell me what the common characteristics are of this career if you could possibly do it!

Medicine

Civil Engineering/Buisness

Landscape management

Environmental Science

Could you please help me out?

You should start by explaining what you actually think the above professions are and what they mean to you. You're only 15 so i wouldn't focus on 'choosing what you wan't to be' asmuch as trying to find out which field of study you love!

Take the time to research the prerequisites for the programs you think you might apply for (school guidance councillor) as well...

Regardless of which profession you decide to follow, try to include the following in your course selection (all are requisite to those 4 things you have listed except biology, but biology is fun): upper level math, physics, biology and chemistry. Economics, and law could help too.

I'm assuming you're intelligent and intellectual by the fact that you are on this forum (not always a rock-steady assumption, btw!), so put that aside for now.

To narrow your focus as efficiently and honestly as possible I would focus on your personality and the social milieu of those professions.

How sociable are you? (I mean interacting positively with all types of people, not just colleagues).

How compassionate are you?

If you rate yourself very high on both questions medicine would be the best direction. If you're moderate-low on those scales I would choose business or engineering.

Environmental science is beneficial to a large audience but you wouldn't generally interact directly with the humans you are helping. You would most likely be in a research or policy advisement setting. Or you may choose to work to benefit plants or animals. This may suit your social personality.

Once you have narrowed down your path with these two questions I would consider things like intellectual stimulation, creative expression, and autonomy, which are reliable indicators of professional contentment. I think this will give you the focus you are looking for.