probably a stupid question

admiral_ju00

i've been out of touch in programming for a little while now, but, my question is: do people still program in Pascal?

there has been a thread or 2 recently implying that in HS they still teach Basic as a programming language to start with, but how about more complex languages such as Pascal?

since Pascal is stuctured more like C or Perl, then if learning Basic just to get the basic idea, then moving on to Pascale and then a transition to C or C++ will be much easier then in going from the Basic(very archaic imo language) to C.

Pascal is essentially obsolete.In HS (and common college courses), they either teach BASIC or Java to start off.

Start off with BASIC, then move on to C++... be sure to learn the basics of APIs in BASIC before starting C++ tho.

I went to bilborough college and followed computer science through 2 years - the first programming language they taught me from lesson one of the first year was pascal, the exam was partly on it too .... it made things A LOT easier in the second year....glad we didn't learn java etc actually because pascal made C / C++ a considerable amount easier.

Pascal is an ideal teaching language; I was tought some of it at A-level. It has quite a simple syntax which is ideal for beginners.

Can't think of anyone who'd want to use it commercially though.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother is just finishing his first year in a game sprogramming degree, and while he's spent the past few years before programing in C++ in his own time, they still started him off on Pascal in the first year. He ended up going through about ten of his friends's papers over MSN when he was back at our house for a bit as people desperately brought their Pascal related problems to him, even though he hates the language. In his words, Pascal "was probably found on some stone tablets somewhere". So yes, I guess they still teach Pascal, but only as a starter; they move onto C++ afterward.