Help! Solving Problems Using The Normal Distribution

JamesWatson

If the average man is 175 cm tall with a variance of 6 cm and the average woman is 168 cm tall with a variance of 3cm, what is the probability that the average man will be taller than the average woman? What is the probability that the average woman will be taller than the average man? What is the probability that the average man will be shorter than the average woman?

If the average woman has an IQ of 101.41 with a standard deviation of 13.55 and the average man has an IQ of 103.08 with a standard deviation of 14.54, what is the probability that the average man will have a higher IQ than the average woman? What is the probability that the average woman will have a higher IQ than the average man? What is the probability that the average man will have a lower IQ than the average woman?

Express the final results as percentages.

Can anyone show me how to solve these problems? Can someone show me the work and list the steps needed to solve these problems? I need to have these problems solved by tomorrow ASAP.

Does anyone know of any websites that deal with finding the solutions to such problems?

Thank you

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Is anybody out there? Can someone also tell me the kind of equations needed to solve this problem?

Can you do me a favour and find someone on this site who understands statistical probability and point him in the direction of this thread? I really need to get these problems worked out and correctly solved. Thanx.

James - This isn't a chat room, it's a forum. It may take days or weeks to get a response, if you get a response at all.

Rest assured, if someone who regularly participates here knows the answer to your questions, they will post them. Until then, self-reliance is the path you should traverse.

This is the "we help you solve your homework problems" section, not the "we do your homework for you" section. You need to show some work before anyone will help you.

This is the "we help you solve your homework problems" section, not the "we do your homework for you" section. You need to show some work before anyone will help you.

I strongly second this.

But, there are some hints that may get you to look in the right direction: The sum or difference between two different normal distributions is again normal -- you just have to take care in defining what the new mean and variance is.

If the average man is 175 cm tall with a variance of 6 cm and the average woman is 168 cm tall with a variance of 3cm, what is the probability that the average man will be taller than the average woman? What is the probability that the average woman will be taller than the average man? What is the probability that the average man will be shorter than the average woman?

If the average woman has an IQ of 101.41 with a standard deviation of 13.55 and the average man has an IQ of 103.08 with a standard deviation of 14.54, what is the probability that the average man will have a higher IQ than the average woman? What is the probability that the average woman will have a higher IQ than the average man? What is the probability that the average man will have a lower IQ than the average woman?

Express the final results as percentages.

Can anyone show me how to solve these problems? Can someone show me the work and list the steps needed to solve these problems? I need to have these problems solved by tomorrow ASAP.

Does anyone know of any websites that deal with finding the solutions to such problems?

Thank you

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Is anybody out there? Can someone also tell me the kind of equations needed to solve this problem?

If the average man is 175cm and the average woman is 168cm, the probability that the average man is taller than the average woman is 1. I think the problem is poorly phrased.

Here are some possible alternatives:-

What is the probability that a randomly selected woman is taller than the average man?

What is the probability that a randomly selected woman is taller than a randomly selected man?

Of course it could be a trick question.

if the average man is 175 cm tall and the average woman is 168 cm tall than the probability that the average man will be taller than the average woman is 100%. i think what you want to know is the probability that a random man will be taller than a random woman and to do that i think you need to know the data used to generate those averages.