Quick LaTeX Tutorial

Dave

Thanks @Phi for All  and also @studiot    

Any hints for the fastest way to get a suitable delta ¶  ?  Hmm... given up pasting the "symbol" font into here, looks like you convert to your own font automatically.  What is that font?  Charmap would be more useful if I pick from the same font you use, I think.

Anyway, my intention is to create some partial derivatives   and  /delta  in LateX will curve the wrong way.  I'm guessing partials are created with /frac but if there's a faster way,  like /partial I'd like to know.  No rush to reply, I can go and read the manual on LaTex or similar links given by the OP.

I'm also looking into the suggestion studiot made earlier (not on this thread) of just using another piece of software, which seems considerably easier.  It's just I don't always have my desktop PC but the built-in LaTex of this forum should always be there wherever I am and whatever computer I'm using.

2 hours ago, Col Not Colin said:

Thanks @Phi for All  and also @studiot    

Any hints for the fastest way to get a suitable delta ¶  ?  Hmm... given up pasting the "symbol" font into here, looks like you convert to your own font automatically.  What is that font?  Charmap would be more useful if I pick from the same font you use, I think.

Anyway, my intention is to create some partial derivatives   and  /delta  in LateX will curve the wrong way.  I'm guessing partials are created with /frac but if there's a faster way,  like /partial I'd like to know.  No rush to reply, I can go and read the manual on LaTex or similar links given by the OP.

I'm also looking into the suggestion studiot made earlier (not on this thread) of just using another piece of software, which seems considerably easier.  It's just I don't always have my desktop PC but the built-in LaTex of this forum should always be there wherever I am and whatever computer I'm using.

Charmap will show you all the fonts you have available on your PC and perhaps those that are available at SF since it changes my normal font to Tahoma for the SF editor.

Either way the partial is available at Unicode 2202 as in the Microsoft tutorial

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/insert-ascii-or-unicode-latin-based-symbols-and-characters-d13f58d3-7bcb-44a7-a4d5-972ee12e50e0

and my screenshot.

Just use the sidebar to scroll through to the right part of the font you are looking at.

charmap2.jpg.4709323ad1b5a06bcacfe7dad3e3064d.jpg

Howver this will not help you with fractions, you need one of my methods already posted for this.

Here are some samples of partials you can copy and paste the MathML code, remembering to add back the first and last square brackets I have removed for convenience.

math]\frac{{\partial \Omega }}{{\partial u}}[/math
[math]\frac{{\partial \Omega }}{{\partial u}}[/math]

math]\frac{{{\partial ^2}\Omega }}{{\partial {v^2}}}[/math
[math]\frac{{{\partial ^2}\Omega }}{{\partial {v^2}}}[/math]

math]\partial x[/math
[math]\partial x[/math]

math]\partial y[/math
[math]\partial y[/math]

math]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{\delta x \to 0} [/math
[math]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{\delta x \to 0} [/math]

math]\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}[/math
[math]\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}[/math]

math]\frac{{\Delta y}}{{\Delta x}}[/math
[math]\frac{{\Delta y}}{{\Delta x}}[/math]

math]\frac{{\delta y}}{{\delta x}}[/math
[math]\frac{{\delta y}}{{\delta x}}[/math]

Don't forget to refresh your screen to get the rendering of the code.

Also note that SF used to render the symbols at a reasonable size but since an undate a few months back I have to manually increase the font size (to about 16 or 18) to get viewable images on my browser. Some others don't seem to have this problem. I don't know why.

Edited by studiot

@studiot   thanks again, don't do anymore, this stuff must take you ages.   I'm getting to grips with the stuff and there's plenty of online resources already.  I've still got to try out the software you mentioned the other day (but one thing in a day is enough for me, so that'll wait).

@Phi for All   A question / small request.   The sandbox prevents editing old posts after a lunch break (? about 50 minutes ?).   Worse than this, if you go and Copy an old post then the LaTeX doesn't re-appear when you paste that into a new comment box.  So I can't use the sandbox as anything like an online assembly place for posts involving a lot of LaTeX where I may need to take a break and continue tomorrow.  Is there an easy solution? 

If not, I guess I'll just try and keep a copy of the LaTeX somewhere else because it's a bit sad to have an hours work you can only look at and not do anything with. 😢

11 hours ago, Col Not Colin said:

@Phi for All   A question / small request.   The sandbox prevents editing old posts after a lunch break (? about 50 minutes ?).   Worse than this, if you go and Copy an old post then the LaTeX doesn't re-appear when you paste that into a new comment box.  So I can't use the sandbox as anything like an online assembly place for posts involving a lot of LaTeX where I may need to take a break and continue tomorrow.  Is there an easy solution? 

If not, I guess I'll just try and keep a copy of the LaTeX somewhere else because it's a bit sad to have an hours work you can only look at and not do anything with. 😢

I put in a request with an Admin. It may be possible to isolate the Sandbox section wrt editing functions. I see no problem with removing the limits for the Sandbox entirely, but we need them for regular discussion threads.

17 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

It may be possible to isolate the Sandbox section wrt editing functions.

It almost certainly is not. The edit window settings tend to applied uniformly across subforums

On 2/5/2021 at 7:15 AM, iNow said:

It almost certainly is not. The edit window settings tend to applied uniformly across subforums

Confirming this. It's a change that has to be made for the forum as a whole, or by member groups. I don't see a way to police a member group with unlimited editing abilities. 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/31/2004 at 6:04 AM, Martin said:

testing

a′′a=4πG3(ρ+3p)

ahhhh :)

Test quoting

On 5/31/2004 at 6:04 AM, Martin said:

testing

a′′a=4πG3(ρ+3p)

ahhhh :)

Formulas seem to break when quoting :( 

30 minutes ago, f10w said:

Test quoting

Formulas seem to break when quoting :( 

They do. Sometimes also, when you're in the middle of editing your own message, your LaTeX gets parsed and compiled before you're finished. It's probably a buggy feature of the backend software. When I want to quote maths I usually have to re-LaTeX it. Takes some time, though you don't always have to do it, because your answer is clear enough. But if you want to be very clear and precise, it may be worth it. If the maths is kinda lengthy, it's perhaps a good idea to have an editor help you as much of the task as possible.

3 hours ago, joigus said:

They do. Sometimes also, when you're in the middle of editing your own message, your LaTeX gets parsed and compiled before you're finished. It's probably a buggy feature of the backend software. When I want to quote maths I usually have to re-LaTeX it. Takes some time, though you don't always have to do it, because your answer is clear enough. But if you want to be very clear and precise, it may be worth it. If the maths is kinda lengthy, it's perhaps a good idea to have an editor help you as much of the task as possible.

It would be too laborious to edit manually the quoted formulas though. Without editing, they may cause confusion because they may look legit while being not correct. In the above example, the fraction has been turned into a multiplication and without reading the original post it's not possible to know that. 

I talked to the Invision people several times about this but they refused to work on a fix (I understand that they don't know how to fix it and don't want to spend much time on it as the market share of technical forums is rather tiny). It's worth noting that this problem is specific to IPS: I tested other software (such as Xenforo) and they don't have this problem.

\[\bra{\psi}\]

\[\ket{\psi}\]

\[\langle\psi|\psi\rangle\]

Does anyone know a quicker way to render bras and kets (Dirac notation)? I’ve been trying the standard “\bra” and “\ket” commands, but they don’t seem to be working here for some reason. “\langle” and “\rangle” is the only alternative I can think of, but it’s a bit of a pain.

Edited by Markus Hanke

@Markus Hanke

[math]\left| k \right\rangle ,\left\langle t \right|[/math]

math]\left| k \right\rangle ,\left\langle t \right|[/math

I have taken the end square brackets off the mathml tags to display the code underneath.

Also the k and t are placeholders/dummies for the contents of the kets.

Edited by studiot

2 hours ago, studiot said:

@Markus Hanke

|k,t|

math]\left| k \right\rangle ,\left\langle t \right|[/math

I have taken the end square brackets off the mathml tags to display the code underneath.

Also the k and t are placeholders/dummies for the contents of the kets.

Ok, so using “\langle|” and “|\rangle” is the only way to do this? Standard LaTeX has “\bra” and “\ket” commands, which is a lot more concise and convenient, but it seems these are not recognised here.

10 minutes ago, Markus Hanke said:

Ok, so using “\langle|” and “|\rangle” is the only way to do this? Standard LaTeX has “\bra” and “\ket” commands, which is a lot more concise and convenient, but it seems these are not recognised here.

I don't really speak Tex or ML. any more than I speak Chinese or Sanskrit.

I am of the opinion that there is more than enough technical stuff to learn without adding foreign languages to the list (though I admire those who do).

I just use a formula editor and let it do its thing.

I simply laid bare the result for you.