False Money!

blue_cristal

Aren’t banks supposed to check every penny that comes in and comes out ?

Yesterday afternoon I went to my bank ( I have been client of it for 13 years ) and I withdrew £ 200. I received 10 notes of £20.Then I took 5 of these notes and I added pocket small change in order to pay my Visa debt ( £ 104 ) in the same bank and then I kept the remaining 5 notes.

During the night I went to the mall to buy food. The amount was £ 63.75 and I gave 4 notes of £20 to the cashier. She found out that one of the notes was false and I had to replace it !

I really feel outraged! It is the first time in my entire life that a bank gave me false money !

Since my knowledge on legal matters is far from satisfactory, I am not sure what would be the wiser move.

I am not sure if I should report it to the police or just go straight to the bank, complain about it and demand the replacement of the false note.

Before I take any action, I use to imagine the possible outcomes. So here are some of the possibilities:

First one: after my complaining, the manager nicely apologizes and replaces my money.

Second one: the manager is callous and indifferent and says that I should have examined every note to see if they are OK. Since I didn’t do it when I just received the money from the cashier I have no right to complain. But as far I know nobody suspects the reliability of the banks money. How many bank clients examine note by note or coin by coin to find out if they are all genuine before leaving the bank ?

So, I would be grateful for any wise advice from those who have more experience with banks and legal matters.

What should I do ( obviously is not worth taking a lawyer, his services would cost far more than £ 20 ) ?

Take the note back to the bank, bring your receipt for your earlier transaction, tell them about it and hope they take it in stride. If they don't, I would mention your long association with the bank, remind them of your stellar record, and again ask for a replacement note. If they still don't, ask for the next level supervisor and repeat the process. Go to the director if necessary.

As a last recourse, tell them you will try to get your £20 from the local newspaper who will pay for good stories like banks who pass counterfeit money.

Also, you might want to put it in a plastic bag so as to avoid getting any more fingerprints on it.
I like that extra touch, it shows you're thinking beyond the money itself and acting like an upright, concerned citizen. Something a bank should appreciate.