Screen Savers

Fudyomo

Hi there,

Does anyone have any cool scientific screen savers ? I tried to find a good DNA one, but you either have to pay for it or it chucks a lot of extra 'goodies' on your computer, a search for human genome resulted in less, but around the same findings.... just wondering if anyone has one that looks cool. :cool:

this is just like Seti@home but it 1) does show you the DNA molecule and 2) you may help find cancer cure, just as in Seti@home you might find alien,err, extraterrestrial signals.

When you compare the two it's pretty easy to see which one's better to use ;)

Cool, i just installed UD, and it's running right now.

it's pretty cool; i can't see any changes in loading up web pages, or any difference in online activity [except I can manually see that i'm receiving & sending data in my dsl manager].

Which project are you guys on?

my comp's been assigned to smallpox research

There's a pretty funky molecule flying around during my screensaver too

hehe

That crap dosnt work on my pc I cant even register! :mad::-(:mad:

'tis not the system's fault, but the user's. trust me.

What do the points even do?

QWhat are points? http://www.grid.org/help/faq_points.htm

Your PC contribution is shown in three measures-points, total CPU time and results returned. The term "points" is simply used as a way of measuring the amount of computation your PC has contributed. If your PC works for three days on one work unit, or in those same three days completes 5 work units, you will accumulate the same number of points assuming that your PC worked at about the same level of effort in each scenario.

by the way, my 1 pc running seti@home has not been off for more than a few minutes(damn restarts) for more than 2 months now. i've stopped running seti@home a few years back and they scrapped my data, damnit, i had more then 3k data packets completed, now i'm back to 100 :mad:

my ud agent, i haven't ran ud agent in a while now, but the last time i did, it ran ud calculations nonstop for a year.

I don't know about UD, but on Seti@home, you could create a group of people and the groups were ranked by the total number of points. Might want to create a group for SFN, just for kicks.

hahaa

I'd like a UD shirt or something along those sorts.

That would be cool.

Might want to create a group for SFN, just for kicks.

heh

Physicists vs. Chemists!

:lol:

• 1 month later...
Cool' date=' i just installed [b']UD[/b], and it's running right now.

it's pretty cool; i can't see any changes in loading up web pages, or any difference in online activity [except I can manually see that i'm receiving & sending data in my dsl manager].

Which project are you guys on?

my comp's been assigned to smallpox research

There's a pretty funky molecule flying around during my screensaver too

hehe

What program are you guys referring to? I have Folding @ home, and SETI, what else is there?

Here is the link for GRID.org, powered by United Devices (UD Agent). It works in conjunction with Oxford for cancer research, etc. I've been running it for a few months and it's logged the equivalent of 44 full days of research. It runs a screen saver when I'm not using the comp (mostly at night when I'm asleep) and has never interfered with my work or play. I think they have over 2 million comps in the grid.