Reverse engineering a stun-gun

SCB

I was searching the web when I came across this site: http://www.bigclive.com/stunner.htm. Basically it is a description of the "guts" of a stun-gun. I would like to build something similar as a high-voltage supply, possibly with self-wound transformers to get the optimum set-up.

I have virtually no knowledge of electronics and am having problems in the two following areas; a) identifying what values to select for the components and b) I have no idea of the internal components of what is simply described as an 'oscillator', or how it steps up the voltage. My understanding of an oscillator is a component that turns a continuous DC output to one pulsed at a certain frequency.

Any help would be much appreciated,

With much gratitude, SCB

If you have virtually no knowledge of electronics, might I suggest a simpler (and safer) project first? High voltage isn't something you want to play around with unless you know what you are doing.

Perhaps knowledge was the wrong word. I know a reasonable amount of theory but lack practical experience. Plus, it's not as if I'm going to die from a 9V battery, however high the voltage is.

Edited by SCB

Plus, it's not as if I'm going to die from a 9V battery, however high the voltage is.
This would look good on the back of a red Star Trek uniform.

Don't forget about consequential damage. Low amperage may not kill you, but high voltage could cause you to trip going down the stairs, or make your muscles jerk the wheel while driving, or cause your humorless girlfriend to stab you in the throat after you "test" your device on her.

Just exercise a reasonable amount of caution and an abundant amount of good sense.

• 2 weeks later...
I was searching the web when I came across this site: http://www.bigclive.com/stunner.htm. Basically it is a description of the "guts" of a stun-gun. I would like to build something similar as a high-voltage supply, possibly with self-wound transformers to get the optimum set-up.

I have virtually no knowledge of electronics and am having problems in the two following areas; a) identifying what values to select for the components and b) I have no idea of the internal components of what is simply described as an 'oscillator', or how it steps up the voltage. My understanding of an oscillator is a component that turns a continuous DC output to one pulsed at a certain frequency.

Any help would be much appreciated,

With much gratitude, SCB

Attached is plans for a "Stun gun"/"High Voltage Generator", that i kind of developed based on a few different schematics i found on the 'net, including the one you mentioned.

Basically, it is a bit like that one, only i used a disposable camera flash circuit for an osscilator. (cut the large capacitor of it first, then solder wires in place of it. that's your oscliator output).

The pulse transformer i ordered from amazing1.com.

However, there is a bit of a problem with it; the spark gap distance is way too small, so very unreliable. Like, if it moves even just a fraction of a milimeter, it wont work.

The only sollution i could think of is to up the voltage coming out of the flash circuit with a CW multiplier. I tried that, but ended up with a very,very low current. i mean, too piddely to fire the spark gap at a decent speed.

I increased the multiplier stages but, as i am using stripboard, the circuit arced out all over the place. I am going to get some PCB etching gear, and try a custom board.

-- Shadowlight

stungun1.png