Websites

Hitman47

In my chemistry class we've been taught how to find out if a website is legitimate in information that it provides and how to tell if the information there is fake.

He pointed out that .com, .net, ~/.com says that you need to get suspicous about the info given.

If it is .gov, .edu, or .org maybe the info is true and it need supportive reasons from other info and the site needs to show proof that this is true.

If i go to a website and put something i want find out about (search engine) lets say heroin. Then a bunch of sites pop up in the search that is a bunch of trash and doesn't have any proof of what the person is trying to talk about.

Is their any tricks to find these difficult type of sites that have proof of an idea or subject on a regular search engine?

Best way is to see if they provide references.

Any college student can put anything they want on their .edu site, and .org companies might have their own agenda skewing facts, i.e. greenpeace.org. .gov sites are the most reliable.

Any teacher that doesn't accept .com sources should be punched hard in the face. nature.com, britannica.com, newscientist.com, etc. And if you need drug information, erowid.org is by far the best source for information.

"Don't judge a book by its cover." And if you have any doubt about the credibility of a sites content, find more sites that say the same thing.

Finding credible sites: Start with your well established sites, and go through their links. If you're forced into using a general search engine, Google will return the best results. If possible, search using technical terms. For example, searching for "heroin" will obviously yield alot of crap, but searching for diacetylmorphine instead will yield alot of credible sites.