About black holes and time...

salter

Like most people on this forum, I find the relativity of time with gravity and speed very interesting. I've done research and listened to lecture cd's about it... and i have had every question answered save one.

If you have objects being shot into a black hole and stopping on the event horizon (to us as people outside of the hole) and matter builds up, would anything happen when enough matter piles up to put pressure on the matter that is stopped on the event horizon?

From the reference frame of the stuff falling in, everything just falls straight into the BH. The earlier matter cannot exert any back pressure on the later matter.

I don't mean the reference frame of the matter going in, I mean from the reference frame of someone outside the hole. To them the matter stops on the event horizon.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

and i'm not talking about earlier matter exerting pressure on the latter matter, I'm talking about the new matter exerting force on the older matter that, to the observer, has stopped on the event horizon. The earlier matter has no potential to move unless an infinite amount of time passes from the observer's perspective, but the matter that lands on top of the earlier matter is in an area of less gravity and thus can move and be pulled in from the observer's perspective.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

That was badly phrased... what I intended was to portray that the matter that is closer to the event horizon (still from an external frame of reference) is being pulled in with much less force with respect to time than matter that is not in as intense of a gravitational field because it is being held back by the earlier matter. Therefore the latter matter pushes on the earlier matter.

Now that I rephrase it, it seems to me that nothing would happen except that the earlier matter approaches the event horizon at a faster rate than it was previously, but regardless of how much matter is piled on and how much force is on the earlier matter, the earlier matter will never reach the event horizon. So it isn't what I first thought, that force was being applied to something that is not moving in time. It is just force being applied to something close to not moving in time (still from an external point of view)

Right? Does my logic seem correct?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Perhaps, If I think about the event horizon as an asymptote... matter going towards it will never reach it typically, like a divergent graph. but if the rate at which it is aproaching increases enough, the "graph" could become convergent... And there could be a point in our time as the observer at which the matter actually reaches the event horizon and then force would be exerted on it....

Come on guys i need someone to answer other than me

...Perhaps, If I think about the event horizon as an asymptote... matter going towards it will never reach it typically, like a divergent graph. but if the rate at which it is aproaching increases enough, the "graph" could become convergent... And there could be a point in our time as the observer at which the matter actually reaches the event horizon and then force would be exerted on it....

Come on guys i need someone to answer other than me

I am interested but do not feel qualified to add much substance to what you are saying. Wikipedia describes the event horizon and what happens as you approach it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole#Event_horizon

It does seem to indicate an object falling into it finally does disappear by red shifting past a certain point. Other articles in Wiki describe falling into a black hole and you finally are ripped apart and become a part of the singularity. The time dilation that freezes an object at the event horizon does finally give up the image it seems.