Top Engineering Schools

Shtarbucks

I'm still deciding between Chemical engineering and Electrical, but I have a while, and I know I want to be an Engineer. I want to know some good Universities particularly known for their engineering schools, I live in California, but suggestions for Universities anywhere else are fine too. I really don't know where to go...:confused:

caltech is a great one in california. for both chem and electric.

mit is a top one for many sciences including the ones your interested in.ranked #1 for chemical engineering, and ranked #1 for electrical engineering. MIT ROCKS!

carnegie mellon institute is good{more for electrical than chem}

california state university is a great one too. ranked 4th best chem. engineering in the nation.

stanford was ranked 2 best for electrical engineering.

All of those schools are, however, very difficult to get into (don't know about California State though).

Get yourself one of those college review books -- find the college prep section in your local bookstore and there should be some books like "The 367 Best Colleges" and such that will give brief overviews of different colleges and what they specialize in. You should be able to get an idea of who to investigate from there.

Pick the school that is best for you, not "The Best School".

There are lots of reasons why you might pick a "lesser" school, but I think the best reason to pick a "lesser" school might be to match the school with your skill set. By all means, you should go the best school that you can. However, if you want to go to the best schools, you need to be the best student...which is why these schools are hard to get into. If you are not the best student (I'm not saying you aren't the best student BTW...), it might be better to pick a school more in line with your abilities. I think it is better for a student to do well at a decent school than to do poorly at the best school.

Cost is also a major concern these days as school has become very expensive. Its worth performing a cost-benefit analysis to determine if a particular school and particular field is financially worth doing.

Its also worth visiting schools you are interested in to see what you think; especially if you can talk with faculty, students and staff and maybe alumini for the school. Certainly the social aspects are important considerations for your choice, in so far as you can determine if you would fit in with any particular culture at a school.

All the above advice has been great. But I would just like to emphasize the point about the schools. Sure, MIT is like...DAMN!!!! when it comes to prestige in the world of science...but it is INCREDIBLY HARD to get into, unless Barack Obama himself writes you a letter of recommendation...and even then you might not get in.

Im majoring in structural engineering at the University of Kentucky...sure its a public school, but Im learning the material and have pretty great professors. Just because a school is public doesnt mean its not a good one. Absolutely try to get into an awesome school, but dont be disappointed if you dont get accpeted...Good luck with your education!! :)

Mostly agreed with what others say. It's certainly true that not all schools are created equal - far from it - but it's also true that there's no such thing as a "best school," just a best one for your personality, interests, and goals. Seeking out "brand names" is mostly useful for impressing people who don't know what they're talking about. (Not that that never comes in handy! I went to an extremely good school which unfortunately has almost no name recognition outside academia, and which has a very similar name to a much larger and crappier school...)

Go go to Caltech and you can write your own ticket to anywhere. Same with Stanford. I'm a public school guy, though.

I have a lot of respect for the UC system. Berkeley, UCLA, Santa Barbara, and San Diego are all excellent schools with first-rate engineering programs.

ASU, UArizona, and UWashington are also excellent schools, which happen to be on the west coast.

Thanks for that. I'm clearer on where I want to go now, the only problem being that I can't pay for a private university, and I guess the only good public ones for engineering are UC's. So I'll aim for there.

My alma mater was Harvey Mudd College, generally considered one of the best engineering colleges. At the time I attended, the American Chemical Society rated its chemistry program the best in the country. It has a student body of <800, which means that you will actually meet and talk with your professors (not just teaching assistants).

Don't give up on private schools too soon: most have some form of financial aid available. HMC says that 83% of its students receive financial aid, from $100 up to full tuition/room/board.

Best of luck!

• 1 year later...

All of those schools are, however, very difficult to get into (don't know about California State though).

Get yourself one of those college review books -- find the college prep section in your local bookstore and there should be some books like "The 367 Best Colleges" and such that will give brief overviews of different colleges and what they specialize in. You should be able to get an idea of who to investigate from there.

you can also find a lot of good information on the internet. there are websites that will let you search by school type, location, degree program etc... I would look at californiacollegesearch.com to find an engineering school in california

you can also find a lot of good information on the internet. there are websites that will let you search by school type, location, degree program etc... I would look at californiacollegesearch.com to find an engineering school in california

• 2 weeks later...

There are many factors to consider when choosing a college. One of the most important is whether or not that college is accredited. Accreditation assures that a college has met certain quality standards. To employers, graduate schools and licensure and certification boards, graduation from an accredited program signifies adequate preparation for entry into the profession. In fact, many of these groups require graduation from an accredited program as a minimum qualification. Some of the top engineering schools are- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of California- Berkeley etc.

• 2 weeks later...

California has more to offer than just sun and fun. The state has a highly developed higher learning industry and a lot of engineering schools. Some of the thriving industries in California include aerospace, petroleum, engineering and information technology. California's expensive educational system is the largest in the nation. California boasts 144 public and 256 private institutions of higher learning and an increasing number of licensed engineering vocational and engineering technical schools. From here http://www.thedegree...eering-101.aspx you may get information on various engineering schools and colleges.

• 2 weeks later...