School holidays around the world

chitrangda

I'm over with my high school..what can be better than that?:D

The kids don't seem to realize that a 35 hrs work-week, 12 weeks of holiday, zero responsibility and a large group of friends as colleagues isn't really bad... in fact: it's pretty good.

Anyway, my best part of the day was to hide in a very quiet corner of the library of a neighboring company where a friend works. I was certainly not going to be disturbed by emails/colleagues and also wouldn't be distracted by any other entertainment. I went through a mountain of boring (but important, work-related) papers.

Walked back into my office at 16:00. I did work in 1 afternoon what would have taken me more than an entire day normally. It's so great when you can finish the boring stuff so quickly. :D

I never got that!:eek:

Then how many holidays do school kids get in India?

We got 6 weeks in summer, 2 weeks around Christmas, 1 week in autumn, 2 weeks in spring and a bunch of separate holidays.

[edit] reposting my own post and a few previous posts for hijacking the "best moment today" thread with this school-holidays topic.

Shall we move at least the last 3 posts (incl. this one) to "Science education"?

[edit]thanks mods, for making a new thread of these posts. :D

Edited by CaptainPanic
fixing grammar and saying thanks to mods for creating a new thread

Well, in Brazil, we have about 8 weeks of summer vacations, 4 weeks of winter vacations and many other separated holidays (and 1 week for carnival)

But it depends on the school, I mean, I studied in a school that had only 1 week of winter holidays.

So it's about 10-15 weeks of school holidays in Brazil. It's great though I think the period of study is too tiny and it's hard to have time to have some fun as teachers hurry up and we have to keep up with the fast rhythm.

Well, in Brazil, we have about 8 weeks of summer vacations, 4 weeks of winter vacations and many other separated holidays (and 1 week for carnival)

we have more sever winters and we get only 1 week holiday that too followed by exams!:mad:

I'm loving Brazil for this:D

we have more sever winters and we get only 1 week holiday that too followed by exams!:mad:

I'm loving Brazil for this:D

Hahaha That's why we don't call it winter vacation, we call it like "middle-of-the-year" vacation as our winters are really hot.

Just to elaborate on what Captain Panic said, the last holidays I had was when I was still in highschool. Well that and a one-day honeymoon.

You're one of those working people who is saving up all the holidays and will retire at the age of 63 (because you'll have saved up about two entire years of holidays)?

My boss also loads me up with work, but luckily I know that people are pleased with my work, so I plan to just take my holidays this year: 4 weeks in the summer, plus one or two music festivals. Our P&O department says I'm allowed to take those days, so who wouldn't I? My work is research... this one month delay because of holiday isn't going to be the biggest delay in the research... and if I come back full of inspiration, I might save 1 month of work with just 1 brilliant thought - anything can happen :)

Remember that "All work but no play makes Jack a dull boy".

It's interesting to see the massive differences in holidays for school kids around the world... thanks for contributions so far.

Well officially I do have 15 days per year holiday time. For some reasons they disappear when I look for them. Unfortunately I am still middle management in a research lab, meaning that if I am not trying to get grants or writing papers, I have to actually run the lab and beat up students. As my wife has a similar job we hardly find a day that we could take off together. But anyways it is very hot here in the summer, well above 37 C and interestingly a lot of faculty are on "research travels" during the summer...