Concentrating Hydrogen Peroxide

Sebbass69

On 4/22/2009 at 5:09 AM, CaptainPanic said:

It's true that you have nice protective stuff, but none of those mentioned help in case of an explosion.

You're dealing with a potential detonation here, as you mentioned yourself - not just some spilled acid which can ruin your clothes.

If you guys entertain yourselves to be scientist, or chemists, you would know the difference between,  conflagration, detonation and decomposition. H2O2 does not detonate. It can decompose and/or contribute to conflagration, but it is not a high order explosive, (which to say does detonate). 

Edited by Alienrocketscientist

9 hours ago, Alienrocketscientist said:

If you guys entertain yourselves to be scientist, or chemists, you would know the difference between,  conflagration, detonation and decomposition. H2O2 does not detonate. It can decompose and/or contribute to conflagration, but it is not a high order explosive, (which to say does detonate). 

Guess again

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/je60020a041

• 5 months later...
On 4/21/2009 at 7:35 PM, Sebbass69 said:

... actually, no that is not correct - I work in a school lab with my teacher, who is intimately familiar with it's properties - not to mention I have full gloves, goggle, apron, jump shower and vent hood at my house so even if I wasn't at school, I would still have appropriate equipment

Perhaps we should have complete information before we go making snide responses, eh?

I think that I would like to see a picture of your lab, sounds cool.  I wish I had a jump shower and fume hood at home.  :)  Are you contemplating building rockets?

On 4/25/2009 at 9:59 AM, person said:

H2O2 has a boiling point of just over 150 deg c. The decomposition occurs more rapidly in alkali, so acid is often added as a stabilizer. Heat does increase decomposition but not as much as you would be evaporating off.

H2O2 can detonate above 70% so unless you boil off more than half your 30% Soln and asuming no H2O2 decomposed during this process (wich it would have) it should be fine. Also you dont have to heat the soln to boiling point you can just increase the heat (70-80) to evaporate off the water.

Alternately you can solidify the water out. H202 has a Freezing point of about half a deg less than H2O therefore as soon as you get any ice crystals forming you filter them out. The remianing soln will be more concentrated. (this process can then be repeated a few times)

I thought that vacuum distillation was the preferred way to concentrate Hydrogen Peroxide?