Uranium 235- half Life

vendeep

The element of Uranium 235 has a half life is 710 million years.

Is there any experiemnt that can be done in less then an year to determine(to prove that) the half life of uranium.

Please this is my life help!!!

Find the radiation now and then in a year. You can now find the difference and use that to determine how long it takes to deminish by half.

I think you have to find a ratio between the two measurements.. but I haven't done this for a couple years.

it is; just find out how much u235 is left after a year and it should be directly proportional to the 50% in 710 million years figure. are you doing this yourself? if so, where are you getting/did you get the u235?

we are trying to list some experiments for our phycics class. I dont think my teacher will me able to get Uranium 235 by himself, unless he breaks in to the nuclear facility.

haha

but thanks for asking!

actually, if you really want some U235, just go to the aral sea. there's an island in the middle of it and a land bridge that was formed over time. there's a little barbed wire fence between the mainland and the land bridge, but hey, nothing a pair of wire cutters can't handle. walk a short distance and you'll be on an island. if you go into the little building (perhaps there's a padlock) and dig about 6 feet you'll find a few nukes, some botulinum virus containing flasks, some sarin, vx, anthrax, as well as a few other biological agents. oh, and i forgot; be careful, because every so often 3-5 people guard the area.

the above is sad but true. let the record stand that i am not a terrorist, nor do intend to help terrorists. let the record stand that i am urging you all to lobby for defense of such areas.

we are trying to list some experiments for our phycics class. I dont think my teacher will me able to get Uranium 235 by himself' date=' unless he breaks in to the nuclear facility.

haha

but thanks for asking![/quote']

Why not try using a more commonly found isotope? U235 is, as you say, a little bit hard to get :)

Why not try using a more commonly found isotope? U235[/sub'] is, as you say, a little bit hard to get :)

[massive nitpick]Atomic Weight goes in a superscript or inline. Atomic Number goes in a subscript[/nitpick]

U235 or U-235

realisiticly is there a way to get some uranium, normal or isotope

How much and in what form? It's present in low concentrations in many rocks, such as granite. You even have a small amount in your body.

do i sense sarcasm? isnt wepons grade uranuim isotope 235?, why dont you try something with a short half life like a isotope of iodine, and ive been tought that they measure half life with carbon dating. ignore me if im wrong as i only started learning it the other week ;).

to work out the half life of sumin you are measuring how much radioactivness it gives out, nothing to do with carbon dating.

however for carbon dating which uses a ratio of carbon14 to carbon12 and to do it you need to know the half life of the carbon14

i think that is where you are getting confused, dont get me wrong, i am no expert at either, but i know the basics!

i dunno what isotope of uranium, weapon grade uranium is, u need to ask an expert of uranium, or maybe a nuclear scientist 4 that!