Earth's Magnetic Field - Why?

DivideByZero

Yes, the Earth's magnetic field exists, I think we can observe this in several ways. A compass come to mind.

The precise reason? This confuses me, do you mean what makes the magnetic field? If so then it's electrical currents caused by the rotating inner and outer cores of the Earth. That seems to describe it pretty well but there are still questions.

Why is there a magnetic field? The above reason of rotating inner and outer cores is how it's produced but there is no reason why beyond that I can think of.

Don't you first need an electric current?

:) Yeah, and the Earth provides one as well. According to Dynamo Theory, all "astrophysical bodies" (stars, planets, ect) which contain seemingly-unfounded-long-lived magnetic fields also contain highly conducting fluids (e.g., the Earth's molten core, which is like the stuff that makes up the sun). When these fluids move, and they are always moving, they create electric currents, which maintain the magnetic fields.

hope i helped...and i hope i remembered my dynamo theory well enough.

Edited by Lan(r)12