Science Forums Comparison

I just looked at sciforums.com, to see the difference, and while they have over 9,000 members, they stink. Not a very good discussion around there, not well moderated, etc. etc.

In other words, keep up the good work!!!

(and, get more dedicated members!)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you not spam' date=' but instead provide useful conversation?

And, yes, I do think we need more members. Especially members who are experts in their field, like Glider or Swansont. Perhaps you could ask professors to join in...[/quote']

Are you talking to me? :eek: spam

I dont think we need more members but instead need more meaningful and important threads and discussions, the thread created by Jenab is a good example.Forgot the name, sorry. :rolleyes:

Good example of bad or good threads?

The most important question ever thread is bad, means nothing scientific and is pointless, The challenge thread by Jenab...eek whatever that one is called is an example of a good one, there are others too. :rolleyes:

The challenge thread by Jenab...eek whatever that one is called is an example of a good one, there are others too. :rolleyes:

Then, your responce in the thread itself:

You posted three times in a row, i would think that nobody wants to answer the question.Try a more interesting thread next time.

The most important question ever thread is bad, means nothing scientific and is pointless

That would be why it's in General Discussion. It's fun to talk about random things, thats what GD is for.

I think you're posting just for the post count.

It's MEANT TO HAVE THAT IN IT!!!!!!1!!!

Remember what happened to Demosthenes' post count when we got sick of his blatant post-whoring?

:D

Tesseract is this close -> <-

Anyway, back on-topic. And no spamming in the suggestions forum please; it just makes it more difficult for us to read your comments and ideas.

I think you should be number one in both[/i']. More dedicated members that know what they are talking about would be nice.

Yes, it would be nice to get some more people like that around here. However, they're pretty hard to come by most of the time :)

I think the site has gone from strength to strength over the past few months. It wasn't all that busy around here until then, and now we have quite a few members around posting stuff on various topics every day. You can tell the quality of the members on here from the members/posts ratio; we have about 55,000 posts between about 1,700 users. It's very nice to see new users on here who aren't just spamming all the time and I think it's very encouraging.

we get dilluted by many that Don`t know what they`re talking about though, THAT is the real pity :(

Missed this one, so I'm just posting a quick followup now.

I agree wholeheartedly that we get quite a few people on here that join just to either spam their way to post count heaven (mentioning no names, of course) or to post a variety of non-scientific viewpoints on things without backing them up or listening to reason. Fortunately the latter is fairly infrequent compared to the former, otherwise most of the people on here would have gone quite mad by now.

However, we obviously want this community to grow; this isn't going to happen without some kind of advertisement on the internet, and you're going to pick up the odd person here and there who doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'm quite impressed with the quality of the posts on these forums. There are multiple other forums out there without the kind of quality we get here, and without key members who contribute greatly to answering peoples questions and posting new ideas.

Even though some of the new members aren't exactly perfect (okay, that's a bit of an understatement ;)), we've managed to pick up quite a few people who definately know what they're talking about and that has to be a valuable thing.