Tax revolt outcome???

jackson33

It's my belief, discontent in this country (however voiced), whether coming from 'Tax Protesters', 'Tax Reform- Fair or National Sales Tax', 'Policy implication' or any particular issue has it's roots in a failure of Federal Leadership, over at least the past 4 years, with a dramatic turn toward Federal involvement in the past year or so. This I believe has been building, since the Election of Bush 41 and 'No new taxes' on through the Clinton and Bush 43 terms and exaggerated by the extreme hands on policy of the Obama Administration (well before inauguration) and to todays continuing double talk of current or future policy.

Yesterday's demonstrations, appeared to me to be a near failure, but not for the reasons you might expect. The voices I heard, were expressing talking points and from both the major parties or the media that plays to that party. There was nothing new, nothing relevant and most disturbing to me, apparently a division of thought from political affiliation (theirs), a 'me' mentality and nothing in my opinion on the best interest of the Country. I was looking for minority viewpoints, even participation and saw little to none. Basically the demonstrators were white middle class, even in my little town with a near 50/50 White/Hispanic breakdown, there were few Hispanics that participated.

For an example of 'double talk' a phrase that I've often used lately, I picked out one statement by Obama, in his effort to take away the steam of this 'Taxation Movement'. It was mentioned in Fox's review of yesterdays demonstrations;

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15/anti-tax-tea-party-protests-expected/

"Meanwhile, Obama seized the opportunity to defend his tax policy Wednesday, saying", "Make no mistake: this tax cut will reach 120 million families and put $120 billion directly into their pockets, and it includes the most American workers ever to get a tax cut. This will boost demand, and save or create over half a million jobs."

-----------------------------------------------

"120 million families"??? The least number of people this could be is 240 Million people and in the US where the typical family has two parents (about 1/2) and near two kids, this would equate to about 4 to 500 million people of the total 306 Million.. Then how many families file in the first place..

131,113,969 Total Filers

42,545,501 Paid -0- Income tax

"120 Billion' directly into their pockets". Some one explain to me how savings in next years taxes are going to put anything into anyone pockets or if you actually pay 1-5,000 in taxes and it's all cut (family of 1-5) you need a tax cut. I know, what he is saying they will give those that pay Social Security taxes only, will be GRANTED funds, though earned income credits and for obedience to the Federal Government. Buy this, use that or participate in some project. Other than this, it's simply an increase of Welfare and a continued policy of rewarding the failures of some. How American can you get....??? "Save or create over a half million jobs"...whoopie do, we need nearly three times that figure just to keep up with workers that retire, die, become disabled or for some reason leave the work force every year. I've never understood how a Federal Government can save a job to begin with. Only lately have I learned how they can eliminate one (CEO GM). Government jobs sure, but how long can a private sector support government workers (2+ million strong and growing, no telling how many retired) with twice the perks and 30%+ plus pay, for 60% of the productivity of the private sector. Ask GM, Ford, others still in existence working under the SAME conditions (unions) will tell you growth, growth and more growth, which they may have run out of places to grow or the thousands that couldn't handle the stress and failed....Business and/or Governments!!!

This cracked me up

I didn't get to see any of the protests firsthand, but I live in a little communist nexus isolated in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

It will be interesting to see if there are higher levels of "tax protesters" (i.e. people who "protest" by not paying taxes) this year and how the government reacts to them. If you don't pay your taxes you should go to jail.

Note that US tax rates are at a historic low (for all but the wealthiest Americans) thanks to Obama's tax cuts. This is understandable given we're in a depression but as soon as the economy starts to recover I would hope Obama does start raising taxes.

This cracked me up

I didn't get to see any of the protests firsthand, but I live in a little communist nexus isolated in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

It will be interesting to see if there are higher levels of "tax protesters" (i.e. people who "protest" by not paying taxes) this year and how the government reacts to them. If you don't pay your taxes you should go to jail.

ew to the link. And yes non-taxpayers should go to jail. Protesting through non-compliance of federal law is just silly (especially for something as obvious as not wanting to pay taxes - who does?).

ew to the link. And yes non-taxpayers should go to jail. Protesting through non-compliance of federal law is just silly (especially for something as obvious as not wanting to pay taxes - who does?).

Protesting a law by deliberately breaking it (and going to jail for it if necessary) is one of the ways people have used to change laws for a long time. It raises public awareness, and there is a limit to how many people we can put in jail.

Protesting a law by deliberately breaking it (and going to jail for it if necessary) is one of the ways people have used to change laws for a long time. It raises public awareness, and there is a limit to how many people we can put in jail.

If someone feels being a tax protester is worth going to jail that's their prerogative. But they should still go to jail.