Advanced Chemistry Class

samtheflash82

After taking the required general science course my freshman year of high school, my teacher suggested that i take a more advanced course in chemistry. The only knowledge I have on the subject is what was taught in the general science class. This includes balancing reaction, breaking and forming bonds, exothermic, endothermic, not a whole lot. is there any beginner type book you would recommend to help me get a bit of a head start?

This site is a nice help site structured around the UK A levels. If you're looking to study it might be a nice place to start.

I don't know of any good books really - I went straight to textbooks as directed by my tutors. Perhaps an A level revision primer?

It seems pointless to read a textbook without the guidance of a tutor imo. During one of my university interviews I asked for recommended reading, and was advised to buy and read the course organic text (1000+ pages, used throughout undergrad study). My interviewer was one of the authors though, so I suspect a conflict of interest was at hand...