Help me with weightlifting!

ok, cool thanks. thats what i thought but i wanted to make sure in prevention of future embarrising mistakes that make me look like an idiot.

im now doing 10 reps of one excersize, then i do another 10 reps of another,on and on, and complete the cycle and start another set of the first excersize. i only do 2 sets though{after cycle}, is this not enough? and is it better to do sets of just the same excersize nonstop{not counting the breaks for the seperate sets} until your done with that excersize or do what i do in seperate excersizes per set ending and just repeat the sets x amount of times {2 for me}?

thanks guys.

ok, cool thanks. thats what i thought but i wanted to make sure in prevention of future embarrising mistakes that make me look like an idiot.

im now doing 10 reps of one excersize, then i do another 10 reps of another,on and on, and complete the cycle and start another set of the first excersize. i only do 2 sets though{after cycle}, is this not enough? and is it better to do sets of just the same excersize nonstop{not counting the breaks for the seperate sets} until your done with that excersize or do what i do in seperate excersizes per set ending and just repeat the sets x amount of times {2 for me}?

thanks guys.

Cameron,

What you're doing now is a whole body workout. You're working all your major muscle groups in a single day/session, right? I'd recommend that to novice weight lifters. You'll get the best all around gains and the variety will nurture your motivation. Do a whole body workout 2-3 times per week. One set per exercise is enough, though (2 max). When you've worked out consistently for 4-6 months, you can split your muscle groups into different sessions. This allows you to focus on particular geographic areas/movements. Here is one permutation or split:

Mon:Chest/triceps

Tue:

Wed:Back/biceps

Thu:

Fri:Shoulders/abs

Sat:Legs

Sun:

Do 2-3 different exercises per muscle group, 3-4 sets per exercise in the 6-12 rep range.

(blank days are rest days--important to rest, eat, and grow!)

Change things up periodically: reps, sets, splits, throw in full body workouts for a month and go back, burnouts, giant sets, supersets, Olympic lifts, etc.

Lan®12 - 180 60 times a day? Your dad is machine.

My family genetics is odd...We don't get big...but we are strong....I start out with benching 100ibs...within a year and half without much effort I was at 200ibs.

our whole family is pretty deceptively strong. Give me a year and I'll be able without a doubt bench 3 plates. I probably won't look like a guy who can do that. I am not short either.. I am 6'0. Short for a dutch man but...I work out with some guys who are 6'4 230 and I am catching up to them. I truely think my genetics are good for it...I just doubted myself alot.

The kicker...My brother is smaller than me, he's 175-180 pounds, and I am 200-205 same height. (dutch accent) he's toight like a tioger....I have a dutch accent isnt dat vierd? lol yeah he's in GOOD shape. I got my fedor belly.

Yeah, hes a scary guy. But you sound like youre doing all right...what did you need help with? I say you're getting plenty of protein, and you seem to be working out the right way, not like those guys that work out, talk for 5 minutes and work out again.

Your brother is smaller than you? Thats odd...deceptive strenght is the best kind ;) Id say just keep up what you are doing GutZ, and you'll be fine. Maybe throw in some running once a week, which actually HELPS your endurance when you lift weights.

Good Luck!

iNow:

Yeah, I was always told that by my dad. I may be wrong as well. Let me know if you find something out ;) I dont wanna be working out wrong lol .

Cameron,

What you're doing now is a whole body workout. You're working all your major muscle groups in a single day/session, right? I'd recommend that to novice weight lifters. You'll get the best all around gains and the variety will nurture your motivation. Do a whole body workout 2-3 times per week. One set per exercise is enough, though (2 max). When you've worked out consistently for 4-6 months, you can split your muscle groups into different sessions. This allows you to focus on particular geographic areas/movements. Here is one permutation or split:

Mon:Chest/triceps

Tue:

Wed:Back/biceps

Thu:

Fri:Shoulders/abs

Sat:Legs

Sun:

Do 2-3 different exercises per muscle group, 3-4 sets per exercise in the 6-12 rep range.

(blank days are rest days--important to rest, eat, and grow!)

Change things up periodically: reps, sets, splits, throw in full body workouts for a month and go back, burnouts, giant sets, supersets, Olympic lifts, etc.

ok thanks. is it bad to do my workout every day rather than 2-3 times a week? would it prevent or lessen muscle gain?

also, how long is the average full body workout for heavy weights and low reps? probabably alot less than endurance wordouts right?

thankyou.

Cameron,

Training full body every day is way too much. You'll over train and loose muscle faster than your body can build it up. What I've said is true for most people, unless you're taking some serious steroids or part alien. You can experiment a little, but full body workouts 2-3 times a week really is optimal for most people.

If you want to split your muscle groups up and work out every day you can, but as a beginner you'll likely do better with full body workouts.

Your workouts should not last more than 1 hour to 1.5 hour. At that point your body begins to release the stress hormone, cortisol, which acts to break down muscle and decrease production of anabolic hormones like testosterone. That will work to counteract the whole point of working out. Whatever you're doing make sure you get it dome in that time frame.

I only spend 30-40 mins myself and I do one day chest triceps and biceps, than shoulders, back and legs the other day. I jump quickly between sets and exercises though. When I go with my brother we are there for an hour to an two hours. Somehow I end up doing the same about of stuff. We take it much easier though I guess and we have to wait for each other as well.

Then after I run for 15 or 20 mins on a machine.

Personally I would do one or the other. I think it's good to switch it up as well...depending on what you want. I wouldn't do it on a daily bases though...

this contradicts a previous post but low reps/high weight will make you strong and big

high reps/lower weight will give you endurance and tone.

diet is most important. Lower your fats just a little (from 33% to 25% of daily caloric intake) . Eat more protein, expecially within an hour of working out. stay hydrated. Vegatables have unlimited benefits to your health so always keep eatin' them. I like eating fish after a workout a few times a week. Omega 3's, protein and chondrition (for joint maintainance). Don't overwork your body. Give your body or muscle groups time off to heal and rebuild (couple days?). I take whey protein as a complement to my diet and sometimes NO explode. DON'T EVER take anything illegal or harmful. You want to create a fit body not destroy it.

is about 30 minutes good or too little?

whatw what about doing endurance one day then heavy the next or something along those lines?will it still be bad to do it every day?

If you work a muscle group, you should give it a rest the next day. So with full body, lift weights one day, then rest/aerobic the next day.

Apparently, it increases protein synthesis (faster repair and growth). As for increasing it, the best thing I can suggest is to stay healthy & sleep well - testosterone is also an immuno-suppressant, and if you're sick or stressed, your body will naturally drop testosterone production in order to allow your immune system to function better.

How does testosterone work with muscle building?!? Add can one actually increase your testosterone levels?

Intense compound exercises, such as squats and deadlifts, have been shown to increase testosterone levels. The spike in production is short-lived (24 hours). Sorry I don't have any references at hand and I'm too tired to Google.

Edited by MM6

Dont tissue cells for Endurance Athletes contain multiple mitochondrian?

Remotely related to the topic:

The rna makes its way up into the nucleoplasm and finds the nucleolus and dna wich copys the instructions to go to ribosomes making the proteins to get sent to the endoplasmic reticulum and then to the golgi apparatus to get the proteins to the surface inside there cozy little lysosomes.

Is this right?

What tells the rna to move to the nucleolus in the first place?

How does it move?

What exactly does the Endoplasmic Reticulum do?

Are their multiple ribosomes floating around in a cell at random?

how does the protein find the ER and GA?

thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hi Gutz, I just read your post and my input on this is, I don't know why you want to imply the use of scienceforums because someone is weight lifting more than you but all I can say is that if he's going to be taking nano vapour etc when he stops weight lifting then he's going to be in trouble because it will turn into fat and he'll have a fair bit of trouble lifting it then but I weightlift a little bit myself twice a week when I get time to do it, and I advise using higher reps on less weight like 10 pounds of weight does it just fine, if you're looking to build your muscles do higher weight like 20-30 lbs with lower reps. Usually you can do muscle toning on lower weight and higher reps but the more reps you do the more exhausted you're going to become. A protein shake will work just fine but be sure to get up and get plenty to drink every 10-15 minutes to keep you going. If you follow this then you'll be able to become stronger than him but it's not about how bigger build you are or how much muscle you've got it's about your core strength not your visual strength. It's like times when an 11 year old can pack more punch than an 18 year old (not often, but has happened a few times). Do not bother with all these whey protein stickup adverts either because at one time someone at around 13-14 years old died from taking it and ofcourse noone wants syringe marks on their ass just for a bit of muscle. If you do not work out regularly your muscles will turn to fat and also running or cycling on the treadmil for about a mile or atleast 10 minutes will help you keep your stamina levels up. Don't become demoralised by your brother and his bragging because if he's always going on about it, when he comes to having to re-do his muscles and you've got yours before him he's nackered. I don't know about this nano vapour stuff but I can re-assure you it's not going to do him any good in the long run. I hope this has helped you in your search for a better build and good luck.

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...
Dont tissue cells for Endurance Athletes contain multiple mitochondrian?

Well, most cells contain more than one mitochondrion, and all muscle cells have a lot of them simply because muscle cells are very large and form by the fusion of embryonic myoblasts (which is why they also have multiple nuclei).

However, among muscles, endurance athletes will typically have a higher proportion of Type 1 fibers (slower and weaker, but greater endurance), supported by lots more mitochondria than a sprinter.

The rna makes its way up into the nucleoplasm and finds the nucleolus and dna wich copys the instructions to go to ribosomes making the proteins to get sent to the endoplasmic reticulum and then to the golgi apparatus to get the proteins to the surface inside there cozy little lysosomes.

Is this right?

What tells the rna to move to the nucleolus in the first place?

How does it move?

Mostly - the lysosome is actually only there to destroy degraded/old proteins, and most proteins go elsewhere (all over the place, even out of the cell). Also, RNA forms in the nucleus, rather than moving there, and the movement (both of the RNA nucleotides and the complete strand) is due to diffusion.

What exactly does the Endoplasmic Reticulum do?

Are their multiple ribosomes floating around in a cell at random?

how does the protein find the ER and GA?

Basically, there are two sorts of proteins - those that are anchored in cell membranes, and those that aren't. Those that aren't are constructed at any of the ribosomes simply floating in the cytoplasm. However, to make a protein that's embedded in a cell membrane (in any form of embedding), you need to build it into the mebrane, which is what happens in the rough ER. The resulting protein + membrane buds off and is sent to the golgi apparatus (a sort of sorting center), before being sent to merge with another membrane, such as the cell membrane.