Help me with weightlifting!

You guys need to help me....This is bigger then me and you, this is for all the nerdy types who have ben pushed around by the jocks.

I love weightlifting been doing it for years semi-serious because I didn't think I could ever bench press pass 200 pounds...Now I can bench press free weight 250-260ibs. I use 70 and 80 pound dumbbells for press as well....which is really impressive for someone like me.

My brother is nice but an arrogant jock...I am kinda a hybrid. I was always into sports, martial arts, highschool got more into science...

ANYWAYS.

My brother is one of those overbearing people that constantly talk about how "huge" he is. He doesn't do much more than me. Lower reps with a bit higher weight...it's kind ridiculousness.

He takes like nano vapour and all that shit...

I don't want to take that...the most I will do is make a protein shake for myself, if anyone could tell me what would be a good shake to use AND

How does muscles exactly work? How do they grow, how do the rip, heal, how can I get the maximum strength per mass.

As well I could lose a few pounds (200ibs -> 185ish)..are there supplements that actually work? I am find doing it the natural way if that's best but if there is something that speed it up that would be cool.

When I get to the point where I am stronger than him, I'll come back and let you know all the details....this time to get revenge!!!!!

If you want strength, do high reps with lower weight.

If you want size, do low reps with higher weight.

Always try to burn out your muscle group. What I do is first set with low weight, but like 20 reps. Second set with as high a weight as I can manage with only like 4 or 5 reps. Then, the third set somewhere in the middle and do about 10 reps.

Works well.

Also, work opposing muscle groups during the same exercise session. So, if you do bench press or pushups (working the front), then be sure to do something where you pull weight and work the back (like rowing or something). This opposing movements thing will build you up much more quickly.

After that, protein shake is all you should need. Just take it as soon as your workout is over. I'm sure there are a lot supplements out there which help, but I've never thought they were worth the money or the risk... That's just me though.

So your brother is an arrogant jock who is stronger than you, and probably taunts you and lords it over you, and you want to become stronger than him so you can... lord it over him, taunt him with it and be an arrogant nerd?

I think the best way to win that game is not to play.

No no no! ok yeah I want to be stronger than him (I am not that far behind) I just want to when we go together to the gym that I do more than him. I won't say a word when I do.

But my revenge will be that. When we do reps he wont be able to do that higher last rep than me that's all. So when he does try to show off it will be impossible for him not to realize how ridiculous it is to state such things.

picturevdb.jpg

My arnold pose...I dont want to get much bigger than this maybe A little bigger, but like good definition.

Inow - Thnaks for the advice, Yeah I was thinking higher reps would be the way to go. I thin my brother is now more of a powerlifter as in most his reps are 1-3. I think his approach is limited. So I think I have a chance. I do this with most exercises and I do opposite muscle groups like you said.

first rep

second

third

last

Or I dont have the fourth and do 8,6,4

I am thinking though that might be too low of reps.

You guys are more the expert on these things so let me know.

Edited by GutZ

Use a pre digested Whey Isolate that is low in sugar. Optimum Nutrition makes a decent one that is relatively inexpensive or try Gaspari Whey. If Whey upsets your tummy look for a good Casein Protein.

Don't be afraid of supplements. The studies on creatine are hit and mis. Try a creatine supplement mixed with NO2 for a good blast. Also if you're not getting enough protein, stay up on those amino acids post workout.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

My brother is one of those overbearing people that constantly talk about how "huge" he is. He doesn't do much more than me. Lower reps with a bit higher weight...it's kind ridiculousness.

He takes like nano vapour and all that shit...

I don't want to take that...the most I will do is make a protein shake for myself, if anyone could tell me what would be a good shake to use AND

How does muscles exactly work? How do they grow, how do the rip, heal, how can I get the maximum strength per mass.

You're brother is smart if you're trying to put on size. Look up High Intensity Training. You have to stretch (rip/hypertrophy) the muscle fascia to a point where it actually has to repair itself. Or else you will never get over that 200lb bench bud... Sorry. If you want some links to some good workouts lemme know;)

Well, the growth of the muscles is primarily due to increase in the size of muscle cells after microtears - the actual number of cells is fixed. The microtears are caused by exercise at close to maximal conditions for the muscle.

A big factor will be muscle fiber type. The muscles of all humans are a mix of fast, intermediate, and slow fibers. Slow fibers have higher endurance, but lower power, and their strength is "diluted" by the fact that much of the muscle volume is occupied by non-contractile stuff to allow this endurance (extra blood vessels, extra mitochondria, etc). Fast fibers have high power and higher strength (due to lack of 'dilution'), but have lower endurance. Intermediate fibers are, as you can guess, intermediate.

You can change your fiber type, but not by much - it's mostly fixed by genetics. If you naturally have mostly slow-twitch, and your brother naturally has mostly fast-twitch, you'll simply never catch up in strength (but he'll never be able to run as far as you). Oh, and I wouldn't get your fiber type tested - it basically involves stabbing you with a *very* big needle to remove a cylinder of muscle tissue. It's agonizingly painful.

Another factor is tendon length - long tendons help reduce the muscle work needed for cyclic contractions by storing energy like a spring, but also reduce total muscle mass, which reduces the total work you can do. You can't do squat about it, though, outside of major surgical alteration.

So basically, high force and low reps stimulates increase in both muscle size and fast-twitch fiber type, but you'll eventually hit a limit, and once you do, that's it. Special training regimes and supplements may shift the limit a little, but not a significant amount.

A great myth of sports is that training conquers all, when in fact, in all sports, genetics = destiny. Training can help you achieve your potential, but people's potential is drastically different, and usually under genetic control.

This post has been deleted by a Moderator due to advocating the use of anabolic steroids.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

It was a joke... Sorry, I will not mention it next time.

Edited by Mokele

Sweet thanks Mokele. Don't know where my genetics lie...but o far I've been gaining pretty well. My brother has good genetics for it too so maybe....seems like he got more from my fatherside, where I got from my mother's side...highly intelligent family...but rich and probably not very active...I don't seem to follow that....hopefully that part I get from my father!

And suga I ralther not do steroids or anything like that. The most I'll do is take a protien shake after a workout. I think I'll start doing. I don't want to be arnold just like van damme -ish. If I can achieve that I should be in good shape to get into MMA then.

I'll need ridiculous strength with my back issues.

Edited by GutZ

Sweet thanks Mokele. Don't know where my genetics lie...but o far I've been gaining pretty well. My brother has good genetics for it too so maybe....seems like he got more from my fatherside, where I got from my mother's side...highly intelligent family...but rich and probably not very active...I don't seem to follow that....hopefully that part I get from my father!

And suga I ralther not do steroids or anything like that. The most I'll do is take a protien shake after a workout. I think I'll start doing. I don't want to be arnold just like van damme -ish. If I can achieve that I should be in good shape to get into MMA then.

HAHA- You're not going to get as big as Arnold overnight. I don't think that is something you need to worry about.

You gotta feed your muscles.. There are some amazing legal supplements out there if you wanna do your research:)

I hate to break it to ya but, Van Damme (juice), Stalone's last movie and all the rocky's and rambo's before that? (juice), Mickey Rourke "the wrestler" (juice).

There's a documentary you should check out. It's called Bigger Stronger Faster. Chris Bell (the filmmaker) is a friend of mine.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I commend you for being natural. I am as well, but I'm just trying to be realistic. There are more people on steroids than you think. Plus with all the new aging clinics popping up, doctors are prescribing GH and Testosterone as Hormone Replacement Therapy Legally.

So, you might be seein some pretty lean and mean old dudes in your gym in the coming years:)

There is a 65- 70 year old in my gym that does 2 plates and a bit...roughly like 250 a couple of times without struggle. Maybe he does roids...(big guy for an old guy...had to be like 6'7 210 and lean)

I don't want anything I can't gain through hard work. Maybe van damme did cheat, and use stuff.

If I can't do it naturally, I just don't want it. then I am happy at being mediocre. The whole reason I am doing it is so I can do Mixed Martial Arts. Not to look good, and there is NO WAY I want to be like arnold...

That guy is freak, his bicep muscle is bigger than my head....TOTALLY not what I want.

It's probably the new generation, and supplements is probably the crude start to bioengineering, buttttt

I can't nor want to do it. It's not part of who I am. If I get stronger I want it to be done from my own hard work. Yes that is silly I know, becuase in the end it doesnt really mean anything....it's either you get bigger and stronger or you don't. I just like to hold on to the old belief. I like it.

That is awesome! Stay natural...

MMA huh...

You know Ken Shamrock, Chris Leben, Sean Sherk, Hermes Franca all got suspended and tested positive for steroid use right?

And those are just a few that got caught.

I'm not trying to advocate or discourage, I'm just trying to be real with you.

I just want you to know that they're out there and you might be up against someone who is on steroids. I wish you the best of luck...

Until then... Better up your protein intake;)

xoxo Shana

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
what exactly are reps? repitions, i think, but does that just mean that you repeat the same exerscize multiple times after something else?

Usually you have a standard amount of repetitions per exercise set.

Reps are exactly that- Repetative motion.

Set-amount of reps done consecutively.

Does that make sense? example:

So you might do 3 sets @ 10 reps on the bench press. Resting anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes in between for recovery.

I am not going to go professional...just fo fun if I do it. Amatuer fights at most. I've just always had this fascination with martial arts since I was like 8.

yeah I personally find it sad that people who compete use drugs when they are illegal in the sport

Lots of fighters are getting caught. A few people think like GSP is roiding. Lesnar would be suspect...but he claims he doesn't. Who know...it's dangerous to all the fighters so I don't support.

If you do it for yourself to get bigger...that's up to you, but if you are in an organization where it's not allows and you do it anyways...I think that's wrong.

We are way off-topic now though. we should stop. :)

Lots of good information here. Mokele explained how the muscles worked perfectly. But alot of muscle growth, even strenghth and energy is due to what you are eating. You're liftning is only gonna comprise a couple of hours of your week while your diet is 24/7.

Be sure your lifting is intense and your food intake is about every three hours with a good source of protein an moderate carbs (not sugar) and fats. You will get great results.

Also focus on good form for the excersice. Ex. for bench there is alot o different ways to set your self up to have a mechanical advantage or more of a muscular hypertrophy sitimulas or just bad form leading to injury.

Enjoy

Usually you have a standard amount of repetitions per exercise set.

Reps are exactly that- Repetative motion.

Set-amount of reps done consecutively.

Does that make sense? example:

So you might do 3 sets @ 10 reps on the bench press. Resting anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes in between for recovery.

ok thanks. isnt 3 sets of 10 reps low then? maybe not if you have a really heavy weight, but then you dont even get a work out. maybe im wrong.

i usually do 2 sets of 25 reps. 2 sets of 50 reps for pushups and situps, unless i use the home gym at my house wich is a usual, then i do the former using 50 pounds. for lat pull down i do that twice, one for hands facing me, one for hands facing away. i also do 50 pounds for chest press, and leg extensions.

i also do the one where i grab the side things and i push them in closer together wich works my lower shoulder connecting into my chest.{it doesnt say the real name for it sorry} with 30 pounds. 2 sets of 25 reps for all of those.

plus swim team for 2 hours. oh ya. im pretty sore right now.

is this a good workout? is there something i should add in here?

thankyou.

GutZ, Im fairly certain iNow has gotten it backwards...for more dense, strong muscles, one needs to lift high weight a few times (8-12 is the range using a benchpress, but not maxing, just working out).

Defined, *large*, but not as strong muscles come from doing a lot of reps with a weight you can easily handle, which is why it takes bodybuilders so long to work out, because they go for definition, not strength.

My dad got me started weightlifting...mainly because I wanted to be stronger than him...he lifted 180 about 60 times a day not to mention the ungodly amount of farmwork that built his strength(he's basically a bear in human form)...hes a "big guy"...big guys build muscle a lot more easily than lttle guys. This is kinda what Mokele was saying about your genetics...you look to be a medium sized guy, kinda on the small side. You are able to build some muscle, but youare also able to have a greater endurance than your brother who I am presuming to be a large guy, but he will have larger muscles...always.

I lift 110 about 50 times on the bench (before my arms turn to jelly lol) and my brother does 60 about 100 times. His muscles are more defined, but theres no way hes stronger than me. He knew that he wouldnt be able to get dense muscles, so he went for definition. He could kick my ass on a track tho ;)

hope this helps in some way

Lots of good information here. Mokele explained how the muscles worked perfectly. But alot of muscle growth, even strenghth and energy is due to what you are eating. You're liftning is only gonna comprise a couple of hours of your week while your diet is 24/7.

Be sure your lifting is intense and your food intake is about every three hours with a good source of protein an moderate carbs (not sugar) and fats. You will get great results.

Also focus on good form for the excersice. Ex. for bench there is alot o different ways to set your self up to have a mechanical advantage or more of a muscular hypertrophy sitimulas or just bad form leading to injury.

Enjoy

My diet is lacking....I am trying to eat heathier and I plan on making protien shakes after a workout, but I think on average I get close to the protein amount I need. I love meat, eat alot of chicken.

I do a lot of different stuff for bench incline, decline, straight barbell bench, than straight dumbbell press. It's the others muscles groups I lack variety in...which is out of pure disinterest, though I should do more.

On average I go to the gym 4-6 times a week. for roughly 45 mins to an hour. I don't use much breaks, 30sec to 1 min rest between sets.

I think I am doing alright...jsut need to fine tune a bit more.

Lan®12 - 180 60 times a day? Your dad is machine.

My family genetics is odd...We don't get big...but we are strong....I start out with benching 100ibs...within a year and half without much effort I was at 200ibs.

our whole family is pretty deceptively strong. Give me a year and I'll be able without a doubt bench 3 plates. I probably won't look like a guy who can do that. I am not short either.. I am 6'0. Short for a dutch man but...I work out with some guys who are 6'4 230 and I am catching up to them. I truely think my genetics are good for it...I just doubted myself alot.

The kicker...My brother is smaller than me, he's 175-180 pounds, and I am 200-205 same height. (dutch accent) he's toight like a tioger....I have a dutch accent isnt dat vierd? lol yeah he's in GOOD shape. I got my fedor belly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedor_Emelianenko

For those who dont know who is...my idol besides Einstein.

Edited by GutZ

Im fairly certain iNow has gotten it backwards...for more dense, strong muscles, one needs to lift high weight a few times (8-12 is the range using a benchpress, but not maxing, just working out).

I think you might be right. I'd be curious to get a decisive answer on this, but looking quickly to google it appears I may have been mistaken. If so, mea culpa.

ok thanks. isnt 3 sets of 10 reps low then? maybe not if you have a really heavy weight, but then you dont even get a work out. maybe im wrong.

i usually do 2 sets of 25 reps. 2 sets of 50 reps for pushups and situps, unless i use the home gym at my house wich is a usual, then i do the former using 50 pounds. for lat pull down i do that twice, one for hands facing me, one for hands facing away. i also do 50 pounds for chest press, and leg extensions.

i also do the one where i grab the side things and i push them in closer together wich works my lower shoulder connecting into my chest.{it doesnt say the real name for it sorry} with 30 pounds. 2 sets of 25 reps for all of those.

plus swim team for 2 hours. oh ya. im pretty sore right now.

is this a good workout? is there something i should add in here?

thankyou.

Mass building sets are around 6-8 reps.

10 is usually the standard if you are just speaking in general terms.

Sounds like you're doing some highly aerobic endurance training which is detrimental to actual muscle growth. If your goal isn't to gain mass, then that workout is just fine...

Generally speaking 25 reps is very high..

i agree with you Gutz. i just finished my workout and my body is feeling quite relaxed and happy. it feels pretty good.

25 reps is high!? wow. reps are how many things you do per set?

Correct

I usually train one to two muscle groups at a time and usually have a total of 9-12 sets. That is a general rule of thumb to keep you from overtraining a specific muscle group. By then if you lift with intensity, glycogen stores will be low and ATP production will slow to a hault so anything past that for muscle growth is futile.

Cameron - Let's say you're doing bench press. You lay yourself down on the bench, you grasp the bar, and you lift it up and down 10 times. You just did 10 "reps." Then, you stop. That means you just completed 1 "set." You did one set of ten reps (repetitions).

If you rest for a few seconds, and do the same thing again, that will be your second "set," and the number of "reps" is how many times you repeat the movement (whether it be lifting the bar 10 times or 5 times or 20 times... each "time" is a rep).