Snow in April?

So I'm writing a paper, and I look outside the window and see snow. Now, it's April, it's cold, and it's snowing. Snowing hard, and the flakes are much larger than they've been all winter. It's not really accumulating, but it's been coming down for almost an hour. I live in the East Coast of the States, and we haven't gotten snow after March in quite a while.

I don't know much (anything) about weather or meteorology so I'm curious as to why this is happening. Any explanations?

Any explanations?

You answered your own question right here.

it's cold, and it's snowing

It's called "Weather".

Despite the light tone, I'm actually quite serious. Climatic "extreme" events occur all the time. So there always have been and always will be odd unseasonal weather.

Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get. :)

Don't know where you are, but in NYC the average low in April is 44. 12 degrees lower than average and precipitating at the same time would be a coincidence big enough that you can't count on it happening every year, but it's still well within the category of "normal."