Anyone know of any good experiments involving the nervous system?

Mr Rayon

Not sure what you mean. There are all sorts of experiments on "tactile sensitivity." We ran some ourselves in the human sexuality lab whereby we took little filaments... like one inch strips of fishing line basically... and tested whether or not the study participant could feel our prick. We were able to correlate this with the ability to orgasm. It was pretty cool.

Either way, my original point... It's not entirely clear what you are asking for in this thread.

one that I find interesting is to get 2 sharp pencils of equal length (not sharp enough to cause skin injury), and put them side by side, with your victim blindfolded, put the 2 pencil points to their skin to that both tips touch at exactly the same time, then ask if they can feel 1 or 2 points.

try this in various places on the skin.

Then increase the distance between the 2 pencils and do it again, record your results.

what it will show is nerve density for a given area, some not so hot zones you can have a nerve servicing a patch of skin over an inch sqr (they will only feel One pencil even though there is 2).

another test is blindfold your victim, and then starting from the inside of the wrist using your finger, make little circle movements that gradualy progress up the forearm towards the elbow crease, ask them to say Stop when they think you at the elbow crease (most will be a good inch away from it in reality).

another test is blindfold your victim, and then...

I was always taught that calling them "subjects" was inappropriate, and to use the term participants. I wonder how the journals would have reacted if we'd instead submitted our papers using your interesting word choice. :eyebrow:

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
those are some results id like to see...

It's pretty neat what you can do with a photoplethysmograph. :D

one that I find interesting is to get 2 sharp pencils of equal length (not sharp enough to cause skin injury), and put them side by side, with your victim blindfolded, put the 2 pencil points to their skin to that both tips touch at exactly the same time, then ask if they can feel 1 or 2 points.

try this in various places on the skin.

Then increase the distance between the 2 pencils and do it again, record your results.

what it will show is nerve density for a given area, some not so hot zones you can have a nerve servicing a patch of skin over an inch sqr (they will only feel One pencil even though there is 2).

Okay...this one seems interesting. Do you know where I can out more about this experiment (I assume it is well known)?