How Many People Here Use "Loose" When They Mean "Lose"?

jimmydasaint

I must admit that I find that people use these words interchangeably and I am not trying to be pedantic but I just wondered when people get confused about the words: "loose" and "lose"?

This is not the same as the words "practice" and "practise" which are pronounced in the same way.

Any other examples where folks get a bit "discombobulated?"

Oh hell! I'm competing with a Thread about sex...I guess I'll just return to the "Pedantic Review"

I used to have a time with those two. The word 'noose' fixed it for me. Now I can be more loose, even when I lose.

Your and You're - one of my biggest peeves...

there, their and they're - my second biggest peeve...

to and too - my third...

I used to have a time with those two. The word 'noose' fixed it for me. Now I can be more loose, even when I lose.

to and too - my third...

There has the word HERE in it, the ` in They is just a marker for A (they Are).

same for wHERE.

Too has more O`s toO many.

that may help you remember ;)

mine are Effect and Affect, "it will affect/effect the outcome..." I have to really think about that one when typing.

There has the word HERE in it, the ` in They is just a marker for A (they Are).

same for wHERE.

Too has more O`s toO many.

that may help you remember ;)

mine are Effect and Affect, "it will affect/effect the outcome..." I have to really think about that one when typing.

No, no. I meant those are the ones I notice others misusing.

However, we appear to share the hardship in dealing with Effect and Affect. I misuse those, miserably. Who and whom is another pair I'm not good at.

One that most people get wrong is when to use "that" vs. "which."

I was taught that 'that' is to be used when the emphasis is on the prepositional phrase and not the qualified noun, as opposed to 'which' wherewith the prepositional phrase is extra information, and can be omitted.

A perfect example:

"This Is Just To Say" by William Carlos Williams

I have eaten

the plums

that were in

the icebox

and which

you were probably

saving

for breakfast.

Forgive me

they were delicious

so sweet

and so cold.

"loose" and "lose"?

Those who don't understand the distinction between "loose" and "lose" are a bunch of losers who are way to loose with the grammar.

This is not the same as the words "practice" and "practise" which are pronounced in the same way.

I can easily distinguish between people who say "practise" from those who say "practice". Hint: The British accent is a dead giveaway.

Affect/effect. I can get discombobulated with this one. In most cases, one should use "effect" if the word in question is a noun, "affect" if the word in question is a verb. But effect can be a verb ("the arbiter effected a settlement in the dispute") and affect can be a noun (the patients displayed normal affects). My rule: Don't be affectatious and then you don't have to worry (the obvious choice is correct).

I was taught that 'that' is to be used when the emphasis is on the prepositional phrase and not the qualified noun, as opposed to 'which' wherewith the prepositional phrase is extra information, and can be omitted.

As was I. "That" for restrictive clauses and "which" for unrestrictive clauses (which are separated by commas, and can be removed without changing the essential meaning of the sentence). Also, "who" is used for people in the place of either.

Yeah, not only is it annoying, but it's really hard to take a person seriously when they don't seem to know the difference. It's like, "You haven't read very much nor very often, have you?"