Home Made Sulpher anyone?

amar55in

Although I think it's a bad idea for a lot of reasons (it's complicated, and the sulphur content of food is very low, and the price of sulphur is low - it's a waste product from refineries)

But - You could extract it I guess... if you really don't care about the other components, then just combust it, and check literature for a SO2-removal technology. Then convert this SO2 to sulphur.

It's a lot of work, and you'll be working with dangerous gases and it requires many steps.

It's not worth the effort.

What do you need sulphur for anyway?

lol.

so is sugar. so is bleach. so is fertiliser. so is well, pretty much any substance can be transformed into an explosive material when comined with the right substances.

sulphur is also a very very useful chemical in terms of home chemistry. making sulphuric acid from scratch is a good experiment to try.

sounds like you have a bad case of chemophobia.

• 3 weeks later...

pretty much anything can be made into a bomb lol...hes just intrested in extracting a base element from something like food, nothing scary about that. i know you can get iron from cerials by smashing it to dust and using a decent powered magnet.

In regards to iron from cereal, the yield is absolutely woeful, but the fact that one can even get a yield, as substantial as a ball bearing with enough cereal, is actually both creepy, and yet utterly remarkable, however, attaining sulphur through food, is absolutely pointless. period.

However it's a rather easy chemical to get a hold of, so I really don't bother to make it from scratch. Even sulphur crystals, are pure enough to use for basic experiments.

• 5 months later...
I suppose one could seal about a dozen eggs in a jar and wait for them to rot. Then, all that's left is to reduce the hydrogen sulfide produced with sulfur dioxide.

How much Hydrogen Sulphide can be made by using about 12 regular eggs.

Just out of interest , i love starting with thing which are describe as being waste and turning them into things which amaze people.

• 10 years later...
On 4/10/2009 at 5:23 PM, insane_alien said:

lol.

so is sugar. so is bleach. so is fertiliser. so is well, pretty much any substance can be transformed into an explosive material when comined with the right substances.

sulphur is also a very very useful chemical in terms of home chemistry. making sulphuric acid from scratch is a good experiment to try.

sounds like you have a bad case of chemophobia.

I think you can make a sort of plastic / rubber sufur substance by heating then putting in to cold water so the sulfur reforms in a different structure,  then it will act as a sort of rubbery substance,

• 2 years later...
On 1/4/2020 at 3:48 PM, paulsutton said:

I think you can make a sort of plastic / rubber sufur substance by heating then putting in to cold water so the sulfur reforms in a different structure,  then it will act as a sort of rubbery substance,

Yes,   I read that too,   should be fairly simple,  but you may need a lot of molten sulphur for that to produce a nice amount of sulphur with the rubbery properties.

Melting in a test tube, if you try and pour in to water it ends up solidifying before it reaches the end of the tube, last time I tried that was years ago, so was about 14/15 at the time and had to do chem outside at that point as I was banned from the kitchen :D

1 hour ago, paulsutton said:

Yes,   I read that too,   should be fairly simple,  but you may need a lot of molten sulphur for that to produce a nice amount of sulphur with the rubbery properties.

Melting in a test tube, if you try and pour in to water it ends up solidifying before it reaches the end of the tube, last time I tried that was years ago, so was about 14/15 at the time and had to do chem outside at that point as I was banned from the kitchen :D

What do you mean you "read that too"?  It's your own post! From 2 years ago. 

Edited by exchemist