Hangovers

CaptainPanic

So, I have a headache at this moment.

I'm fully re-hydrated, and this is no longer the issue. But my stomach seems to be a bit upset with all the beers I had last night (I wasn't even drunk, just tipsy). In short: I feel a bit like throwing up, despite the fact that I have had a 3-sandwich breakfast, several glasses of water and a coffee.

I know from experience that my headache and the stability of the stomach are linked. If I were to decide to throw up (I hate doing that, I prefer to sit it out), then the headache also disappears... and it disappears almost instantly.

What mechanism links my stomach contents to my headache?

So what's in my blood that shouldn't be there? Any idea of the type of components?

And how can anything pass into the blood from the stomach itself? I thought that intestines were breaking down food into soluble molecules that enter the blood? Throwing up cures the headache very fast (<5 minutes), so I'm guessing that the intestines aren't involved here - they work too slow.

I think it`s the act itself, in fact it`s been know for people to burst blood vessels in the eye from puking or even straining on the loo.

Blike would know exactly what and how it happens.

I can't say the exact process that it would cause a raise in blood pressure though it would raise your heart rate, which will obviously cause it a raise in blood pressure but I would guess that it most likely constricts the blood vessels around the body allowing the stomach to contract with enough force to cause you to vomit.

So what's in my blood that shouldn't be there? Any idea of the type of components?

And how can anything pass into the blood from the stomach itself? I thought that intestines were breaking down food into soluble molecules that enter the blood? Throwing up cures the headache very fast (<5 minutes), so I'm guessing that the intestines aren't involved here - they work too slow.

It's more to do with what isn't there. For example alcohol is a diuretic and inhibits water reclamation, so you are basically dehydrated. This has some other knock-on effects.

Even though coffee does NOT help sober you up, it can provide some relief for that pounding headache.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

www.drinkfocus.com/articles/hangovers/hangover-cures.php

I Found a Neat Little Cure sight that people think work

Edited by A Childs Mind
Consecutive posts merged.

I was wondering though, when suffering from a hangover I don't usually get headaches, I get cramps, and no matter how many bananas I eat or how many bottles of "Magnesia" I drink, they don't go away unless subjected to some serious physical activity (which is not all that comfortable at the best of times :) ). Any idea why this happens/how to get rid of them?

The point I was trying to make earlier is that your digestive system is basically like this:

Stomach --> intestins --> blood stream

Is there any link between Stomach --> blood stream (directly)?

If not: how does removing something from your stomach have an almost immediate effect on your blood chemistry? Is the system really that fast (but then why do I need hours to digest food, or to break down other toxins?).

I accept that the blood pressure changes, but if I simply run up and down the stairs a couple of times the same will happen, and that doesn't make me feel better at all! :eek:

There's something missing... still.

Usually when I'm drinking, I just down a whole lot of water on the side - not like a gallon, but a couple glasses while I'm drinking, I haven't woken up with a hangover for a few years - keeping in mind of course that I take everclear shots straight =o

coffee is indeed a diuretic also, however the caffeine in it Will speed your met rate helping you remove the toxin faster.

It will also raise your heart rate, hence your blood pressure so presuming you drink more water than diuretic effect causes to be released that should help as well.

Usually when I'm drinking, I just down a whole lot of water on the side - not like a gallon, but a couple glasses while I'm drinking, I haven't woken up with a hangover for a few years - keeping in mind of course that I take everclear shots straight =o

That isn't really drinking if you are having water in between, of course you won't get a hangover as you won't really be drunk.

:confused:

I think that's the first time I've ever been accused of NOT drinking or trying to destroy my liver... I mean we're talking about like 10 shots of EC in around 90 minutes? Whatever you're drinking, have a glass of water on the side, "not really drinking" or not, I've been drunk 5 or 6 hours into the next day without that headache/stomache thing

:confused:

I think that's the first time I've ever been accused of NOT drinking or trying to destroy my liver... I mean we're talking about like 10 shots of EC in around 90 minutes? Whatever you're drinking, have a glass of water on the side, "not really drinking" or not, I've been drunk 5 or 6 hours into the next day without that headache/stomache thing

Don't know what EC is but if I take the assumption that it is 40%, that is like 3.33 pints (strongbow 5.3%) in an hours and a half with a glass of water, that isn't very much. It works out at 2.2 pints an hours with water.

Don't know what EC is but if I take the assumption that it is 40%, that is like 3.33 pints (strongbow 5.3%) in an hours and a half with a glass of water, that isn't very much. It works out at 2.2 pints an hours with water.

Wrong assumption. You missed post 19 where he stated he drinks Everclear (= EC).

coffee is indeed a diuretic also, however the caffeine in it Will speed your met rate helping you remove the toxin faster.

Actually recent research indicated that coffee is at best a mild diuretic, if at all. It had hardly more effect than water alone.

Wrong assumption. You missed post 19 where he stated he drinks Everclear (= EC).

No one drinks 95% alcohol except for a joke or because it is absolutely freezing outside.

If that is true the reason he doesn't get a hangover is because it is normally the other chemicals that give you a hangover not the actual alcohol, the only way he would get a hangover is through major dehydration and he probably still wouldn't even fill sick, just have a massive headache.