immediate sleep

invisiblebrain

some people just lie down and start snoring instantaneosly,within almost no time and some people keep tossing on their bed and have to wait for 30 min -1hr!

my father sleeps instantaneosly.....and so does my sister

a friend of mine also sleeps inst. and so does his mother..

conclusion ---it is transmitted from one parent to the child of opposite sex.

any observations and conclusions? :)

Fascinating, I also know of a case that would seem to support your idea, but we must be cautious before arriving at any conclusions with only this data to work with.

we`de need to know of cases where it hasn`t happened or it has happened with same sex etc...

neat preliminary observation though :)

Hi there guys,

Interesting one this, a friend of mine was involved in a study into this area a while back at a well known hospital in the UK. From what I can remember, and also why the way you worded your post is quite interesting is that they identified two groups ... those that suffer from snoring in general (which has a few variable factors that are the fault of genes, e.g short jaw) and also those that suffer from obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA). The latter is much more serious, the main points of the problem are droziness during the day and the ability to instantly ... no matter where you appear to be or what actions your performing, fall asleep. Obviously people with this disorder vary in just how bad they have it - some can just fall asleep when their head hits the pillow and some have the full blown varient. As you can imagine, most don't even know they have it as they see the lesser varients as 'normal'. A friend and his co-workers were trying to pinpoint the gene / base mutation to which causes it ... I haven't seen him in a good 3 years now as he's working overseas but as far as I know, they never did actually pinpoint it. The study involved something like 8 - 10 families, some with OSA, so it wasn't a big investigation. However, stats back then showed around 24% of people in the UK suffer from snorng, and around 3% from OSA. It would suprise me if snoring in general has relation directly to a gene, but most certainly the problems / features of a person deffinitly do, and those are genetic obviously. But, OSA most deffinitly is inherited....whether they have managed to identify it now I have no idea as I said this was a very long time ago.

Just my $0.02 =)

thanks for that

although i knew a lot of obstructive variant of sleep apnea ,but im talking of normal people.the fact suggested was that people themself may not know that they suffer from it .....true in all its extent, but i didnt find any other charecters of OSA

sorry to have put that heading but all i meant was sleep almost instantaneosly when thay go to bed.any way i would want to get the email id of the friend of urs .thanks

can anyone suggest a method of increasing our data collection with regards to this matter ...

thanks in advance

a large to very large RANDOM sample of people to work with would be the 1s thing

then you also need to have some sort of control mechanisms to keep biases at bay, etc.

I get a slight case of insomnia sometimes, but my father can fall asleep within 5 minutes of being in bed, and so can my brother. Obviously this is just one family and they're both not instantly falling asleep, so you can ignore it. :)

I'd kill to be able to fall asleep instantly (in bed, of course). For people who don't have insomia ever, it's really really annoying. I think once I was in bed for five hours before I fell asleep. I wasn't ill or anything, I just couldn't fall asleep. It was starting to get light out when I managed it...

I've always had problems with what I call "the monkeys". My head hits the pillow and even though I'm tired, I begin to think about things. The monkeys start to play and my mind bounces around in its cage from thought to thought. I've learned since posting in online forums that I have to give myself a good twenty minutes to unwind after posting or I'll keep thinking of certain threads.

I've heard that some people who've done combat tours in the military have learned to make themselves fall asleep almost instantly because they never know when their next chance may be.

I'm like Phi for All. When I lay down I usually contemplate some of the last things I've done. I'd guess that it typically takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes for me to fall asleep. I remember finding this annoying as a kid. I'd spend the night with some friends and they'd all be asleep within 5 minutes of laying down. Then I'd spend an hour trying to fall asleep amidst their snoring.

Blike, are you a light sleeper as well? I wake up if I hear a noise that's not supposed to be there. I don't wake up for wind and storm noises, cars going by the house, house settling noises and things like that, but I wake up every time I hear my five-year-old open her bedroom door.

invisiblebrain, it would be interesting to know if the people who can sleep immediately are also heavy sleepers, too.

I'm like Phi for All. When I lay down I usually contemplate some of the last things I've done. I'd guess that it typically takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes for me to fall asleep. I remember finding this annoying as a kid. I'd spend the night with some friends and they'd all be asleep within 5 minutes of laying down. Then I'd spend an hour trying to fall asleep amidst their snoring.

that's exactly like me... i don't know how they can go to sleep so quickly :P

i, however, am a very heavy sleeper. i expect this will change in college (out of necesity), but i can sleep through my alarm clock for 30 minutes, then if i'm still tired, and don't need to get up, i can go back to sleep and wake up an hour later (alarm clock still active). i've found out that my alarm clock rings for 2 hours....

thats true with me too---playing monkeys for 25-45 minutes.

true with my mother,with my brother too...

and my sleep is heavy one.i didnt wake up and in the morning i was told there was an earthquake(not a big one) and once there were burglars but yet i was asleep.

[quote name=Phi for All. I don't wake up for wind and storm noises' date=' cars going by the house, house settling noises and things like that, but I wake up every time I hear my five-year-old open her bedroom door.

.[/quote]

proabably the mind sets a priority for this phenomenon.your priority for the child is very high and that for cars etcetc is low.

thats why u pay attention to it

but this still is just an enigmatic explanation:)

u know when there r exams althouhg i keep my alarm clock to 3 am, i get up before it to constantly keep on checking if the times up....so i expect there to be deviations in 1 person itself but what about when all these are forgotten for a moment and ur in calm and peaceful routine.

for eg lets say u r kid has gone to its grand pas place.then what?

u know when there r exams althouhg i keep my alarm clock to 3 am, i get up before it to constantly keep on checking if the times up....
I do this too when something is high priority, like I have a flight to catch in the morning. I set the alarm and then wake up way before that like THIS will be the day the clock decides to stop working or the power will go out or the sun won't rise...

I guess this is more an internal clock problem that's more akin to the light sleeping rather than the ability to go to sleep quickly.

can anyone suggest a method of increasing our data collection with regards to this matter ...

thanks in advance

well if you`re REALLY interested, you could could design a questionaire explaining in conscise terms your idea, and then ask a few questions such as:

1) how many instances do you know of where this is correct

2) as above but for incorect

3) falls asleep instantly but with NO known family similarities

4) and instances of the opposite effect with light sleeping and a long dropping off time

that kind of thing, but keep all the questions ballanced in the way of, you ask for numbers that support and for numbers that dont , and then hit the streets and canvas people :)

hope that`s a little help with ideas anyway :)

Interesting. I'm a pretty deep sleeper, but it takes me FOREVER to fall asleep. Usually between 30mins-2 hours. I just keep going over everything that has puzzled me, or even things that haven't. Last night I went through an entire proof of Cauchy inequality in my head before I went to sleep. And sometimes it is almost random what I think about, but it always concerns some sort of "intellectual" idea. Is there some coorelation between intelligence and how hard it is for you to fall asleep?

Is there some coorelation between intelligence and how hard it is for you to fall asleep?
Also interesting. I'll have to research that, but I'll bet it's just a matter of what you allow yourself to dwell on. If the problem is more important than the sleep, you think of the problem.

I've heard it's possible to use meditation techniques to will yourself to sleep. That's an area I need to look into, since it never works to simply tell myself to think of nothing.

. If the problem is more important than the sleep' date=' you think of the problem.

.[/quote']

well i dont think thats so with me.i keep on thinking of random matters before i sleep.its proabably the gate pass for sleep.its not that its important matter which i think during sleep.i just have to keep on thinking something,doesnt matter what and then without knowing when i fall to sleep

. Is there some coorelation between intelligence and how hard it is for you to fall asleep?

interesting question but what about the answer.i dont seem to know it but if i were to guess then there is no such correlation, or even if it is there it is governed by some other factors also(eg fatigue,disease..) and some of them should be genetic

i'm falling asleep a lot easier than a year ago...

i don't like it because i feel less intelligent than i used to, since i don't spend that time to ponder things.

it is also an indication of how bored i am with school, i think, and how much i am interested in learning what was taught at school.

i'm gonna try to start pondering things again...

• 8 months later...

I usually fall asleep quickly, my monkeys are nocturnal and wake me up at 3am, usually about something that is going on at work. I'll wake up thinking I've forgotten to do something, when I get to work, I usually find that I've done it - just forgot in my groggy state of mind.

I regard myself as a "plate spinner" - does anyone remember that act - it used to come on the Ed Sullivan show all the time. There are a number of sticks. The guy balances them on the top of the stick by setting it to spinning - pretty soon he will have 5 or 6 spinning at the same time - but then, one by one they start to wobble, and he has to run from one stick to another and give it a spin to keep it from crashing to the floor. That's me, spinning the plates of bookkeeping, filing tax and other reports, programming the CNC's, & bidding jobs. Anyway - wobbling plates wake me at 3 am.