Button Cell Question

Mag

I think this would be the right place for this...

Anyhoo, long time no see Science Forum :)

I have a quick and simple question.

When I was a kid, I had this laser gun keychain that took small button cells as its power source. In fact, it had 3 of them stacked on one another.

I was wondering if say, each was 1v, does stacking them increase the output to 3v? Or does it just increase the lifespan of the powered object?

the cells are 1.5v probably LR44`s (AG13`s) making 4.5v total.

these lasers trigger at roughly 3.5 volts, but there`s current limiting circuitry in there too so it doesn`t blow, and cct takes up a certain amount of voltage to work as well.

you lose 0.7 of a volt for every P/N junction you pass through.

in a series curciut the voltages add, so if the top of a button was the + pole and the bottom was the - pole, stacking them would give you 3x the voltage.

if you wired them so the + poles were all connected and the - poles were all connected you get 3x the amperage.

if you wired them so the + poles were all connected and the - poles were all connected you get 3x the amperage.

Well, you wouldn't get three times the amperage on the same circuit, you'd just be able to supply three times as much if the circuit required it. Adding batteries in parallel won't melt a circuit or anything.

• 1 month later...