What are your opinions on a comprehensive smoking ban?

Lan(r)12

Do you believe smoking should be banned with government legislation?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe smoking should be banned with government legislation?

• No, smoking should be allowed everywhere
    • No, it should be the property owner's right to decide
    • I don't care, I like taking polls and pushing buttons
    • Yes, but only in buildings, not in the streets or places like that
    • Yes, all smoking everywhere (except a person's house)
    • I think something completely different (hopefully explained in post)

wow you make the beds and everything?

well, at least theres one person that understands the process and not just what they hear ;)

What type you grow? But then again, you dont have to buy the type that been engineered to be resistant agaisnt blackshank and stuff do you?

...where do you let it cure? How much do you grow? certainly an acre would do you for a year...

I grow Virginia Gold, but Now they`re on their 4`th generation and have acclimatised nicely. I used to do 3 rows of 30 foot each, but this year I`ll only be growing a dozen or so in my back garden as I had to give my allotment up due to poor health (not smoking related).

I let some cure in my greenhouse, and the rest up in the attic on a line, I make small bundles (3-4 leaves), and put a paper bag over them and peg them on the line.

I harvest them from the bottom up rather than chop the whole thing and cure that, so I get to check each time I add a new bundle that the others are doing ok.

this year I`m going to try and have a go at Cavendish, I have plenty of time to do some studying an research into this, and hopefully it should make for an even Better pipe tobacco.

Yeah, now I'm curious as well. I quit smoking cigarettes a couple of years ago, but I still love the smell of burning tobacco. I'm surprised you can grow enough for your habit, though, assuming you do. About how many cigs can you roll out of single plant?

You are quite the peculiar fellow, YT.

A single tobacco plant is quite large, YT can attest to that. It would make quite a few. Imagine how many cigarettes a single, typical 120 lb. bale of tobacco would make!

One of our had 32 leaves!!!! But then that was a monster, far from average.

Very intersting approach YT. Cutting them down at full height wouldnt quite be feasible for you would it? lol

good luck in trying the new types YT ;)

Hmm, I guess I've never actually seen a full grown Tobacco plant. I'm envisioning something the size of loose leaf lettuce. obviously, my calibration is a bit off.

I'll bet it really stinks up the place to cure it.

I'm surprised you can grow enough for your habit, though, assuming you do. About how many cigs can you roll out of single plant?

I grow enough to Supplement shop bought tobacco, and I don`t roll them into cigs, I`m a pipe smoker.

although I did try rolling it a few times when I smoked cigs, I found it Much better in a pipe.

You are quite the peculiar fellow, YT.

I`v heard that before, Thanks... (I think)? ;)

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Hmm, I guess I've never actually seen a full grown Tobacco plant. I'm envisioning something the size of loose leaf lettuce. obviously, my calibration is a bit off.

I'll bet it really stinks up the place to cure it.

naah, these suckers get to like 5+ foot! and the curing isn`t that smelly either, in fact it`s quite a pleasing smell (I might be Biased though).

Yes, during these last few years, our plants in a swag area have grown to be at least 8 foot. I have to grab the middle just to get to be able to top it lol

And the smell is HORRIBLE in the beginning. Its acrid, and can quite literally bring tears to your eyes.

but after a week, it becomes pleasant and sweet smelling. Like coffee in the morining :)

And a ban is stupid, it violates smokers' rights

*Trying to get Inow to fight again lol*

I like you iNow, you entertain me ;)

Edited by Lan(r)12

And Bear's Key, Id gladly take you up on your offer :) All you will see is your own sweat lol

I've worked on a farm, don't worry. :D

Surprised the tabacco is hung-dried, it's pretty old-school way of doing it. That's cool. Do you ship it off to be rolled into cigarettes, or have it done there?

Ah, well we cant afford a 5,000$ steamer and the barns with which to house it ;) lol

Its the most efficient way for us.

no, we truck it out to a processing center in London kentucky...a LOT of tobacco goes through there lol

So, as someone whos worked on a farm Bear's Key, have you ever seen us add ammonia or cyanide while laughing maniacally? lol Ignoring the fact that it would kill our crop :)

So, as someone whos worked on a farm Bear's Key, have you ever seen us add ammonia or cyanide while laughing maniacally?

No, it was in a third-world like area, they plowed using bulls and no machines -- all hand labor.

The processing centers, might they add things? I'll get to the bottom of it, and when I do, if everything's legit.....well I'm no stranger to defending a business industry wrongly accused or falsely targeted.

But I'd investigate personally, 24 hour video documenting. I'll not just take someone's word about it, as I'm certain not everyone will just accept my findings without proof either. ;)

No, They dont add much at processing centers, some "pre-preservatvies" if you will, but they really just reformat the tobacco.

Its actually quite an interesting place to work, and it smells good lol.

The only things Ive seen added were preservatives and non caking agents...i think.

All those "chemicals" are present in all organic things.

But yeah, I wouldnt accept it without proof. ;)

You should go have a look yourself if you really want to see about it.

here`s Govornment a list of all the garbage allowed in UK cigs in way of additives, the final cigarette product is about as far removed from Real tobacco as you can get.

http://www.advisorybodies.doh.gov.uk/scoth/technicaladvisorygroup/additiveslist.pdf

the stuff that comes directly off Lans farm I`d happily smoke, but when the big corporations get hold of what starts off as decent product, they ruin it for the sake of money.

Dammit...I guess they can legally add stuff.

Bear's Key, I have never seen it, and Ive worked in places up until the cigarettes are packaged. Maybe they do it in between or even at the very end.

Thanks for the info YT.

And good luck Bear's Key.

I certainly think that anywhere away from the smokers house should be somewhere that they can't light up, and for a number of reasons.

Firstly, because of the health risk to other people, and that is the effects of extended passive smoking on anyone, for example that of waiters in restaurants &c. Even though smokers are banned from doin so on the premesis, restaurants and pubs still give them places to smoke outside, which is a mockery of the whole idea of banned smoking in public places, and would still contribute to staff passive smoking, because they're still smoking in their vicinity. Also, to walk through a town centre at night gives this passive smoking, because you have to walk past pubs which used to contain their smoke, but have now shoved it onto the street, meaning that when you get to wherever you're going you stink of a thousand cheap cigarrettes and are coughing horribly.

Then, we have the whole aesthetic situation, which is one of quite unnapealing men and women stood drunk outside bars, swaying, with a lit rod in their mouth, which they drop on the streets. Which obviously isnt incredibly nice - to have hundreds of dropped cigarette ends littering the floor. That would also increase the city council's spending on street cleaning, when that money could be more helpfully spent elsewhere.

• 1 year later...

Simply put this is how I look at it. It should be the owner of the property's decision more than anything else. If a business, like a bar, flower store, or whatever wants to allow it then everyone else that doesn't want to be around that shouldn't go there. More and more and this government lives, talking about the U.S. bc I live there, seem to think it should be the governments decision to get rid of things for us that we are up in the air about. A lot of people are back in forth on this. I think that shouldn't matter. It isn't the laws decision to tell us what the rules are. As a government of the people we should make the rules. It shouldn't be their decision what we do that effect our bodies. And yes I'm aware of the argument of second hand smoke. Anything that is public transport, government run, and things like that I understand a ban there, but past that the decision should be based on who owns the property and if you don't like it don't give them your business.

I would support a ban in all public places where people are likely to congregate, including high streets of towns and cities, parks, open air venues and similar. This would not extend to all public places like a common street, just where people are likely to be in close contact for non-trivial amounts of time during normal life.