anti-matter , what does this really mean ?

They do attract and when they come together they annihilate each other in a flash of gamma rays and other particles. I kilo of anti-matter and one kilo of matter if brought together would cause nearly a 50 megaton explosion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

The reaction of 1 kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter would produce 1.8×1017 J (180 petajoules) of energy (by the mass-energy equivalence formula E = mc²), or the rough equivalent of 47 megatons of TNT. For comparison, Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated, reacted an estimated yield of 50 Megatons, which required the use of hundreds of kilograms of fissile material (Uranium/Plutonium).

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

To be completely honest there is a school of thought that says neutral anti atoms would repel atoms through gravitational repulsion but this isn't exactly what most think but it has never actually been shown one way or the other.

They do attract and when they come together they annihilate each other in a flash of gamma rays and other particles. I kilo of anti-matter and one kilo of matter if brought together would cause nearly a 50 megaton explosion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

this does not make sense

why would particles that are just opposite in polarity annialate each other ?

this does not make sense

why would particles that are just opposite in polarity annialate each other ?

Nature is under no obligation to make any sense. That's not an argument.

The particles annihilate because they are opposite in every characteristic that is conserved for matter (which we know because we create them in pairs).

Because, taken as a pair, all values except for mass and momentum can cancel out: the pair is thus equivalent to a pair of photons of the necessary energy. I suspect (without having done the calculation) that the reaction increases entropy, thus favoring photon formation.

This I don't get about antimatter- its clear how electrons and positrons annhilate each other, and say an atom of matter would annhilate an atom of antimatter.

But say you just have a positron ray (thank cap'n for this idea) and you fire it at say a block of metal, what will happen?

Would the positrons annhilate the electrons and leave a bunch of protons, that with no chemical bonds would just seperate into plasma?

That's a good idea for a lightsaber!

Yeah thats an interesting idea in itself...

Very good laser, would ionize any matter by contact into a plasma

I'll probably have to try that someday- strong laser making positrons, organized by several coils, and burning through anything...

I think in that context, the positrons would be even better at burning through things than the original laser...

matter source? well you're going to get antimatter anyways because positrons are antimatter!

light photons can be split up into positrons and electrons by a thin gold sheet, then positrons and electrons can be seperated by magnetic coils, see the link i gave above...natural radioactive decay is another option, but really its both less effective and requires exotic radioactive isotopes that have to be synthesized..