Magnetic Charging

frosch45

Imagine you had a strong magnet and two metal spheres of neutral charge. Could you charge them by induction if they were brought in contact, then the magnet was brought close to one of the balls (classic induction scenario)

Basically, can a magnet be used as the charged object that moves the negative charges around?

I would try it out myself except for the fact that its really humid here right now and I'm thinking that the charge would bleed off faster than someone can respond. :D

A changing magnetic field will produce an electric current. You could use the current to create a charge differential between two objects, but then you would have to cut the connection before stopping the magnetic field from changing. All kinds of complicated. May I recommend instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graff_generator

You know how to make a compass out of a needle and magnet right? Just swipe the positive side of the magnet to the point of the needle a couple times, you'll get the electrons to move to the point, balance it and it will stal magnetized long enough to show you where south is.

Are you talking about magnetizing, or charging? Charge is an electric phenomenon — there is no magnetic "charge."

Ah, that's what I was looking for. I didn't word my question very clearly.

I had a bad expierence a with Van de Graff generator. I like to stay away from those ;)

Ah, that's what I was looking for. I didn't word my question very clearly.

Ah, to make a magnet, get an iron nail, wrap some wire around it in a helix (just toward one direction), then connect the setup to a power source (eg 12 volt battery). Now you have an electromagnet. If you want to magnetize the nail, heat the nail and let it cool inside the coil connected to a DC power source.

I had a bad expierence a with Van de Graff generator. I like to stay away from those ;)

That's cause they work very well ;)

Ah, to make a magnet, get an iron nail, wrap some wire around it in a helix (just toward one direction), then connect the setup to a power source (eg 12 volt battery). Now you have an electromagnet. If you want to magnetize the nail, heat the nail and let it cool inside the coil connected to a DC power source.

Insulated wire, please. Otherwise, it just shorts out. :P