Thermite

jake.com

I'm trying to make thermite; what do I need to make it? From what I've read it said just mix aluminum powder with iron(III) oxide (rust). Is this correct? I just want to watch it burn.

PS-also, which equation is better? Both are for thermite, but which one is the better... um... thermite?

Fe2O3+2Al -->2Fe+Al2O3+heat

3Fe3O4 + 8Al --> 9Fe + 4Al2O3 + heat

I'm trying to make thermite; what do I need to make it? From what I've read it said just mix aluminum powder with iron(III) oxide (rust). Is this correct? I just want to watch it burn.

PS-also, which equation is better? Both are for thermite, but which one is the better... um... thermite?

Fe2O3+2Al -->2Fe+Al2O3+heat

3Fe3O4 + 8Al --> 9Fe + 4Al2O3 + heat

The internet is a good place to find ways to hurt yourself. If you just want to watch something burn, make a campfire. Thermite is not *that* impressive. However, it is extremely hazardous, especially for someone who 1) clearly has no grasp on the concepts behind the reaction and 2) seems to just want to goof around. If you do something wrong with thermite, it'll sling molten iron around, maybe all over you. Water won't come fast enough to save the body part it lands on and it certainly won't stop the main reaction. Try explaining that to the emergency room staff.

Thermite can be handled safely, but if you need to ask here or anywhere else about how to make it, you shouldn't.