11:11 Phenomenon.

MysteriBoi

"Numerologists believe that events linked to the time 11:11 appear more often than chance or coincidence. This belief is related to the concept of synchronicity. Other authors believe it is an auspicious sign, and others that it signals a spirit presence.

Although not an originator of the concept, Uri Geller has spoken repeatedly about 11:11, and the belief that it has mystical powers has also been adopted by many believers in New Age philosophies. However, some skeptics say that Geller's examples of 11:11 phenomenon in world events are examples of post-hoc reasoning and confirmation bias."

Ok that aside, what do you really think is the 11:11 phenomenon?

Why do you always see it when you saw it once before for the first time, then you keep on seeing it more?

Some may believe it's just coincidence, some might say hat a spirit related to them is trying to get their attention, or tell them something?

What about these numbers:

-2:22

-3:33

-4:44

-5:55

-10:10

-12:12

Do they also represent coincidence? or spirit related energy?

I often wake up to see, 12:34 on the clock, I`m not sure Why, but then I must factor in the amount of times I wake up and see Other times that don`t grab my attention, then it`s pretty even.

it`s just the way our brains work, we like patterns and symmetry for some reason.

survival mechanism. back when we were still pretty hairy and not quite past the "sharp rock" stage in our technology it was more advantageous to think there was a big monster over yonder and run away than to not notice an actual big monster and get eaten.

unfortunately it has the side effect of numerology and superstition.

Although not an originator of the concept, Uri Geller has spoken repeatedly about 11:11, and the belief that it has mystical powers has also been adopted by many believers in New Age philosophies.

Three questions, if I may:

1. Uri Geller? The same Uri Geller exposed as a fraud by James Randi?

2. What powers? Specifically. Vague claims of 'mystical powers' could mean anything.

3. Given that a good explaination has been given in your own post (confirmation bias and reasoning in hindsight), what is there to discuss?

Kaeroll

I believe it's all just in your mind. I'll give an example;

For a few months after the 9/11 attack, it seemed to me that almost every day I would look at my digital clock and see 9:11 in the morning.

Here is my train of thought as to why this happened;

-I was always up at around this time in the morning.

-I look at the clock very often, but usually don't even realize I do it. It's just a habit to keep me on track and know what time it is.

-9/11 was fresh in my mind because it was all over the news for months.

-The first time I looked at the clock and saw 9:11 after the 9/11 attack, I immediately thought of the 9/11 attack and it brought significance to those particular numbers in my head. Whereas any other number combination on my clock wouldn't make me think a second thought, because they have nothing to do with any hot topic currently on my mind.

-As soon as it stopped being a big topic in the news and with other people that I know, I stopped making the connection between 9/11 and 9:11 on my clock.

-9:11 still exists as a time on my clock, and I know that I must still look at the clock once in awhile at that moment in time, but I don't make a connection with it and anything else in my head anymore.

People like symmetry and patterns, and although we see many dates and numbers all the time in our lives, people tend to notice very quickly when those numbers arrange themselves nicely. People like order and pattern in our universe. It's an evolutionary advantage to make quick connections between things, but sometimes our brains take it too far.

• 2 weeks later...
"Numerologists believe that events linked to the time 11:11 appear more often than chance or coincidence. This belief is related to the concept of synchronicity. Other authors believe it is an auspicious sign, and others that it signals a spirit presence.

Although not an originator of the concept, Uri Geller has spoken repeatedly about 11:11, and the belief that it has mystical powers has also been adopted by many believers in New Age philosophies. However, some skeptics say that Geller's examples of 11:11 phenomenon in world events are examples of post-hoc reasoning and confirmation bias."

Ok that aside, what do you really think is the 11:11 phenomenon?

Why do you always see it when you saw it once before for the first time, then you keep on seeing it more?

Some may believe it's just coincidence, some might say hat a spirit related to them is trying to get their attention, or tell them something?

What about these numbers:

-2:22

-3:33

-4:44

-5:55

-10:10

-12:12

Do they also represent coincidence? or spirit related energy?

Hours and minutes are completely manmade creations. So even if this "mystical energy" or whatever it is did exist, it would be a huge coincidence that it could have anything to do with those particular times