The Ethics thread

matter

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a slightly more interesting argument would be to replace the dog with a pet of your own.

I think you're right. But then the situation stops being an objective moral dilemma and becomes defence of you and yours; a different situation altogether.

EDIT: I think YT is on the right lines myself.

Is your ethical question one of breaking the law or is it one of taking advantage of an immature girl? In the state of Mass, the age of consent is just like fafalone said it was in Florida. In my state it's 15. In Hawaii and Idaho it's 14. Personally, ethically, I think 16 is a much more mature age. If she is a great deal underage, is she being seductive because she's horny or is she just pissed off at her parents and wants to get pregnant, move out, get married, have a baby and live happily ever after? Also, is this happening to you or to a friend?

...better check those laws, or you might be in some trouble.

http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

there are only 2 choices right?

a guy comes to your door holding a random chicken and your pet dog.

he says that unless you kill the chicken, he is going to kill your dog.

that's fairly airtight right there, the question is: do you

1) walk away, allowing your dog to be killed

or

2) take the chicken and chop it's head off.

#1 would mean that you are indirectly killing your dog, since you had the chance to prevent it's death, but the direct blame is put on the other guy.

#2 would mean that you would have to live with striking the killing blow of a living being, but you would have your friend back.

i'd chose #2, definitely.

if it were 2 people that the guy was talking about, one my friend, and the other some random person that i don't know, then... that would be... extremely tough...

there are only 2 choices right?

a guy comes to your door holding a random chicken and your pet dog.

he says that unless you kill the chicken' date=' he is going to kill your dog.

that's fairly airtight right there, the question is: do you

1) walk away, allowing your dog to be killed

or

2) take the chicken and chop it's head off.

#1 would mean that you are indirectly killing your dog, since you had the chance to prevent it's death, but the direct blame is put on the other guy.

#2 would mean that you would have to live with striking the killing blow of a living being, but you would have your friend back.

i'd chose #2, definitely.

if it were 2 people that the guy was talking about, one my friend, and the other some random person that i don't know, then... that would be... extremely tough...[/quote']

Considering that Chickens are raised to be killed to be eaten I would chose #2. I don't know about most people but I get pretty attatched to my pets but if it was any other animal than a chicken then I would have a problem. And if they were all people I don't know what I would do, I think I would attack the person giving me the choice.

Are you leading up to somthing? I would have to say no' date=' unless there was a shortage of food.

Er I mean It would be Ethical.[/quote']

i take it you're replying to YT's post above.....

so uhm, which is it, yes(ethical) or no(unethical) as you've said both in that instance alone.

Let's take away the life and death aspect of ethics here for a bit. Answer all by number:

1. You are waiting in line at the store and you find a $20 bill on the floor. You didn't see it fall, there is nothing to indicate ownership. What do you do?

2. Same scenario as #1, except you saw the $20 fall from the pocketbook of a woman dripping with jewels, wearing a $1000 dress, who has been obnoxious and impatient with everyone in line. What do you do?

3. Same scenario as #2, only this time the lady is a sweet, elderly grandmother-type who looks like the $20 will cost her dearly. What do you do?

4. Same scenario as #3, but the elderly lady has been rude and obnoxious like the rich lady from #2. What do you do?

The Answers

1)Since you are waiting in line, you ask the people in front or behind, then if nobody says they dropped it, take it to the cashier and tell them they could make a store wide annoucement.

2)Rich, obnoxious or not it is still her property and therefore must be returned.

3)Same as above, return the money and maybe an extra tip.

4)No matter what the attitiude of the person is you degrade yourself by stealing the money, you should return it. :D

Yes, Ive never taken money that I have found.
Unfortunately for me, I have taken money that I've found. It makes me feel lucky and good for about an hour, or until I've spent it. I can't recall how much money I've made that way.

I have also made an effort to give money back that I have found. It still makes me feel good when I think about it. The sense that I've gone beyond materialism is priceless. Four times now I've found money inside a store near the registers and have given it to the cashier, telling them to make sure they don't come up short at the end of the day. Once I got cash at the drive-up window at my credit union and the teller gave me an extra $20. I pushed the call button and told her she'd been too generous and I sent it back in the little pneumo-tube device. I put my money in my wallet, wrote some notes on my to-do list, and when I drove out all four drive-up tellers were standing up, smiling and applauding me as I drove past them.

I smiled for at least a week afterwards and I'm still proud of what I did that day.