Question on Cyclical Universe

etcetcetc00

I thought the Cyclical Universe idea was thrown out with the discovery of dark energy, but I read an article in an astronomy magazine today that said String Theory involves a cyclical model where the universe contracts after the dark energy spreads the universe out because of a spring force that wasn't explained very well in the article. The magazine said that our universe was part of a cycle that repeats every trillion years or so. Is this an actual aspect of string theory?

I've always been interested in the idea of eternal return. I wonder, if all of the particles in the universe were condensed back to the big bang moment, and the process were repeated in the same way, wouldn't we all come back again? I understand we wouldn't have any memory of it, but the world as it is is a product of how the universe was created before. If the same process happens with the same material, especially if MWI interpretation is correct, wouldn't we all come back? Is it possible we're all involved in a never-ending cycle of the universe?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't just ignore this thread if it sounds ridiculous.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Roger Penrose is the name of the guy whose theory it is. Can anyone explain in a step by step fashion how it works?

I thought the Cyclical Universe idea was thrown out with the discovery of dark energy, but I read an article in an astronomy magazine today that said String Theory involves a cyclical model where the universe contracts after the dark energy spreads the universe out because of a spring force that wasn't explained very well in the article. The magazine said that our universe was part of a cycle that repeats every trillion years or so. Is this an actual aspect of string theory?

I've always been interested in the idea of eternal return. I wonder, if all of the particles in the universe were condensed back to the big bang moment, and the process were repeated in the same way, wouldn't we all come back again? I understand we wouldn't have any memory of it, but the world as it is is a product of how the universe was created before. If the same process happens with the same material, especially if MWI interpretation is correct, wouldn't we all come back? Is it possible we're all involved in a never-ending cycle of the universe?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't just ignore this thread if it sounds ridiculous.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Roger Penrose is the name of the guy whose theory it is. Can anyone explain in a step by step fashion how it works?

When I was a kid and first heard of the big bang, I thought of this. In mine during the collapse everything was reversed, and you lived your life backwards. You couldn't tell which phase you were currently in.