what kinda material is easier to generate sound?

hierarch

I know that sound comes from the vibrations transmitted through an elastic material or a solid, liquid, or gas. I am just wondering what kinda material is easier to generate sound? Any body can shed light on it? Thanks in advance.

Anyway, thanks for your response.

You could make sound waves when you bang your hand again desk, wall, bucket and other stuff. But the volume of sound is different from different material even the same force is used. Then the difference is caused by the kinda material? And then what kinda material is easier to generate higher volume of sound?

Well I guess for a solid transferring sound to air are going to want something that can vibrate at an audible frequency, and displace alot of air in doing so. Like a drum skin or speaker.

the easiest way is to go back to basics, you need to create a large volume of displaced gas at a very fast rate, that says to me an explosive compound. it starts off very small and gives a huge volume of gas in very little time :)

Solids transfer sound faster and more efficiently than gases or liquids but you may not get the same audible volume.

As Skye says, something that will displace a lot of air but remain within the audible range of frequency would be best. I think a bass drum has got to be one of the best for force to sound ratio, assuming you are going to be hitting a solid rather than detonating an explosive.

Well I think the shape or structure of the bass drum also has influence on that audible volume. Then, what shape of the bass drum will be easier to obtain high volume of sound wave?

Apreciate for furthur responds.

I think there is a lot to be learnt from studying the shape and size of different drums. They have evolved over thousands of years so there is a huge amount of practical experience already available. I would suggest researching and experimenting with different surface areas, volumes, shapes, materials, skin thickness etc..

well sound is all about moving air, and so whatever can move the most air in the fastest time with the sharpest wave front, WINS! :)

the YT hands you some Dynamite and a bucket with a hammer... lets see who makes the most noise :)

And me takes teh dynamite, but i think it has more to do with the forces involved but not the actual material, i would go with a solid if an equal force was placed on all of a gas, a liquid, a solid. Possibly something sitting at around 4K like Tungsten or diamond

I know that sound comes from the vibrations transmitted through an elastic material or a solid, liquid, or gas. I am just wondering what kinda material is easier to generate sound? Any body can shed light on it? Thanks in advance.
sound is the propogation of gas movement (typicaly air).

The greater the speed and volume of gas moved, the "Louder" the sound.

I suggest a 70/30 flash powder salute, it`s at just the right frequency and gas liberation potential to be the perfect sound generator with regards to Decibels and little damage :)

There are experiments with metal/glass alloys. Metals that are combined in an alloy that have atoms that fit inside larger atom alloy spaces and when cooled make a metal that acts like glass. A drum made of this should be pretty good at transferring energy into sound. Probably the best we have now with our technology

Just aman

sound is the propogation of gas movement (typicaly air).

The greater the speed and volume of gas moved' date=' the "Louder" the sound.

I suggest a 70/30 flash powder salute, it`s at just the right frequency and gas liberation potential to be the perfect sound generator with regards to Decibels and little damage :)[/quote']

Is sound not vibrations in any material at audible frequencies?

I could put a tiny hammer at my eardrum and create the same effect that moving air does, just much more efficiently in terms of energy transferrence.

After all, sound is translated as mechanical movements in the inner ear using bone, not gas.

I would still say one could achieve more sound volume in gas, at practical levels, than solid, merely because gas is easier to move.

Is sound not vibrations in any material at audible frequencies?

I could put a tiny hammer at my eardrum and create the same effect that moving air does' date=' just much more efficiently in terms of energy transferrence.

After all, sound is translated as mechanical movements in the inner ear using bone, not gas.

I would still say one could achieve more sound volume in gas, at practical levels, than solid, merely because gas is easier to move.[/quote']

it is said that sound cannot travel through a vacuum, that would say to me that it`s gas related mainly, but through any material medium still qualifies :)