any tests on things like karma been done?

cameron marical

hey, im probably one of the first ones to say that im totally against mumbo jumbo crap, and i have a very scientific based mind. so i was wondering if anyone knows about any experements actually trying to varify the existence of god, or the explanation of how karma could work?

im actually thinking about doing some myself right now if no one has. i mean, im not spiritual or anything like that, but i do notice many things that suggest the existence of karma, or god in some way, wich could be coincidenses, but the odds are high. so, id like to have an already done opinion free test.

like, back in middle school, i remember running away, well, prior to that it was stormy and snow up to our waists, stopping the trip, but we went anyways. needless to say we had to turn back, and once back home, the sun came out all of the sudden, birds chirping and all that.

or when i have a good question, alot of times, its answered by something totally abstract, like a comercial or something.

or whenever i do something bad in my book it really does always seem to come back and bite me, accordingly.and same thing flipped over, when i do something good, i get rewarded in some way, like i win or do really good in a meet or something. {im a swimmer}

coincidence? and i know its really selfish to suggest that some higher being did this for me, but im just writing some data already been personally recorded, and looking at possible answers.

what does anyone else think? any one agree or think im just scyzophrinic?:)

The reason that 'coincidences' seem to occur so damn much is really rather simple: The fact is, you do not consciously perceive everything that happens around you all the time, but rather a small stream of filtered consciousness. Unimportant and uninteresting events are ignored by your higher senses and only the remarkable and, as it happens, coincidental occurrences are given any real attention. As such, you acquire a warped sense of the probability of events, due to the incomplete register of all possible events (what is missing being everything that your subconscious ignores) and highly improbably events seem to occur more often than they should.

Edited by Kyrisch

What Kyrisch said. If you consider the sheer number of events that happen around you per day and the probability that each of them could be interpretted as somehow purposeful or otherwise particularly meaningful to you (like a random event giving you an appropriate comeuppance, or a TV commercial answering a question you had been wondering earlier that day), you would expect such things to happen all the time. If you only notice these things and disregard all the insignificant stuff, it seems like there are intentional and mysterious forces at work. But really, it's just simple probability.

hey, im probably one of the first ones to say that im totally against mumbo jumbo crap, and i have a very scientific based mind.

Umm, no... you're probably one of the last ones to say that on this forum :P:eyebrow:

Everybody who is in favor of mumbo jumbo crap is either banned, or sent to the Dungeons of Pseudoscience :D

I believe in Karma in a way that if you're friendly and good, then people will remember.

Personally, I prefer to help somebody who is friendly to me rather than somebody who is not friendly to me. That probably goes two ways. So if I'm friendly, I get more from life.

I know that this doesn't include all aspect of karma, but it's good enough for me.

Apparently some studies have been done on the power of prayer... cancer patients were prayed for anonymously (the prayers didn't know the prayee's identity and vice versa), and their remission rates were monitored. If I recall correctly most studies have been inconclusive, though one indicated that prayer makes things worse...

or the explanation of how karma could work?

We keep track of who is nice and who is nasty and tend to be nice to nice people and nasty to nasty people. Hence people with good karma have good things happen to them, and people with bad karma have bad things happen to them, to an extent. In some societies they had gossip instead of law enforcement.

The reason that 'coincidences' seem to occur so damn much is really rather simple: The fact is, you do not consciously perceive everything that happens around you all the time, but rather a small stream of filtered consciousness. Unimportant and uninteresting events are ignored by your higher senses and only the remarkable and, as it happens, coincidental occurrences are given any real attention. As such, you acquire a warped sense of the probability of events, due to the incomplete register of all possible events (what is missing being everything that your subconscious ignores) and highly improbably events seem to occur more often than they should.

We keep track of who is nice and who is nasty and tend to be nice to nice people and nasty to nasty people. Hence people with good karma have good things happen to them, and people with bad karma have bad things happen to them, to an extent. In some societies they had gossip instead of law enforcement.

i beleive the same things, yet, i would like to be able to say that science actually gave things like god a chance and at least be able to show data proving his non-existance. to me science is the least close minded thing we have, and it is my world, and i like to consider that every idea is equal until proven a pile of shit.

{ wich i beleive he is nonexistent, or just a hole other being evolved like us and formed like us, just "out of our radar", im trying to clearly state that im not trying to in any way defend religion}

i believe in karma to but if i apply a bit of scientific thought to it its obvious its bull. HOWEVER it makes me happy so i go on believing it.

ia,

Like you, I carry two opposing attitudes about karma. On the one hand, I seriously doubt that nature employs a behavior cop who keeps score of my naughty and nice deeds. On the other hand, I seriously suspect that nice deeds tend to bring nice deeds in return—in human affairs, at least—and that naughty deeds breed bad consequences.

My personal problem with karma is this: My naughty deeds have far outweighed my nice deeds, yet my good luck has far outweighed my bad luck.

So, in my case, all my naughty deeds seemed to have paid off.

you just explained part of karma.

unless you were implying that the something bad happened by chance, then its what most of us are talking about, how it seems as if you have been paid off in return to a past deed when normally it wouldnt have stood out at all, but since you were expecting it beleiving or speculating about karma the light automacally turns on saying that karma caused this. when it really was chance and the failure to register unneeded information acquired throughout the day.

i can tell that you text alot. we share the same affliction.:)