Stem Cell therapy for Multiple Sclerosis

darkenergy

Hi,

I've been reading about stem cell therapy for stroke with a particular interest in the work being done by University of Pittsburgh neurosurgeon Douglas Kondziolka. He's transplanted neuronal cells to the site of injury in the brains of stroke patients and reported that patients began to improve in both physical and cognitive abilities. I know that this is a vague question, but I've been curious if a similar procedure could be done to patients with MS since they have similar symptoms due to brain lesions. I know on average they have more lesions, but even if all of them were not able to be targeted, it seems as though some hope for repair in severely disabled patients would be worth the chance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

That's an interesting thought.

I have not studied stem cells or MS in-depth. So... I'm not an expert... lol

If you are trying to repair damage using stem cells, you should consider:

1. Is there diseased or scar tissue in the area that needs repair?

2. Will the stem cells be able to be penetrate that tissue to make new connections?

3. Will there be enough vascular tissue in the area?

4. How will the stem cells be delivered?

I'm sure there are many more issues to consider.

I havn't had time to look into the Univ of Pitts stuff.

I would prefer a direct link to the work you are referring to.

Hi,

I've been reading about stem cell therapy for stroke with a particular interest in the work being done by University of Pittsburgh neurosurgeon Douglas Kondziolka. He's transplanted neuronal cells to the site of injury in the brains of stroke patients and reported that patients began to improve in both physical and cognitive abilities. I know that this is a vague question, but I've been curious if a similar procedure could be done to patients with MS since they have similar symptoms due to brain lesions. I know on average they have more lesions, but even if all of them were not able to be targeted, it seems as though some hope for repair in severely disabled patients would be worth the chance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Has he written in any journals? Maybe you could give us a more technical outline?