a Wi-Fi security *TIP*

YT2095

After doing a little bit of war driving with a Nintendo DS, Another security tip (other than the conventional ones) occurred to me.

in and amongst the list of SSID`s that I`d collected there were some that no real hacker (unless desperate) would even bother looking at, namely Printers and other Wi-Fi peripherals.

most have a company install their Broadband and never really think twice about the factory defaults that any hacker knows the passwords to and can recognise the SSID at 100 paces blindfolded!

(I use chemical formulas for all of mine, Case sensitive and includes numbers).

So... opening your browser and entering 192.168.*.* (you`ll have to mess about with the `*`s) you can then get in with your "admin" "admin" passy (or what ever the default is for yours) and change the SSID to something Printerish like Epson_Bubblejet or whatever...

if you have a Wi-Fi printer already (2 would look strange) there are Microphones and Cams that are Wi-Fi enabled too, if you live in a city it`s easier (wardrive around and have a look at what`s popular in the air), Isolated areas you need to think what wouldn`t look out of place.

use your common sense ;)