Why do men stare at other women?

Is there a scientific explanation behind why men (who have a mate) stare/look at other women, even if they have no intention to cheat?

Is there something in the human brain that causes this behavior?

Are there any scientific articles to support this?

Firstly, this isn't just a man thing - women too can be very appreciative of attractive members of the opposite sex without having infidelity in mind. Secondly, it is partly due to our mating system. As a species we are largely monogomous but not completely so - thus it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on the market and appreciate what's out there should a certain set of situations arise that would favor leaving the monogamous relationship for some reason or another.

An interesting counter example are tamarins. These are small New World monkeys that, unlike almost all other primates save for humans, regularly have more than one dependent offspring at one time. Every birth is a twin birth. Now, taking care of these babies is very tough - they're 1/4 of the weight of an adult and they need to be carried around for the first few months of life to be kept safe and with the group. Mom simply can't carry them both AND feed herself with enough efficiency to lactate for them too. So the males in the group help ALOT (also the only other primate where the male actively participates in child care besides humans). And it's not just the father either but other males in the group - they'll actually fight each other for who gets to carry the babies, because the one who does the most work is most likely going to father the next set. So the males are highly dedicated to their group female - to the point where, when confronted, alone, by another female, who may actually be ovulating - well, any other male primate would make a beeline for her, but not male tamarins! They stay dedicated. It's the most reliable way to ensure the most matings in the future with their group female. Clearly our mating system isn't quite like that of tamarins.

Just because there's food on the table doesn't mean we can't look at the menu. In simplistic terms, men can create 9 or 10 babies a day if given the opportunity, but women can have only one baby (maybe up to 8 w/fertility drugs) every nine months. This has led to the evolution of different mating stategies. There's also the issue of the spank bank to take into consideration, but I'll leave it at that.

Just because there's food on the table doesn't mean we can't look at the menu. In simplistic terms, men can create 9 or 10 babies a day if given the opportunity, but women can have only one baby (maybe up to 8 w/fertility drugs) every nine months.

There's much more to human reproductive success than popping out babies. They also require the extended care of both parents if they've any chance of being reproductively successful themselves in the future. Human males are less divergent from human females than the males and females of most other primate species in this respect. There's still some divergence, of course, but not to as extreme of a degree.

Because they Look Nice (attractive), as an amateur Photographer, I regularly get chance to shoot attractive female models, and although I tend to see them from a Technical perspective, it`s also pleasing to the eye.

I`m also happily married (10 years) with a 3.75 yr old Daughter and a Son due in May.

I think it's more more basic - our minds are keyed to specifically recognize shapes associated with eligible, fertile mates, at the very basic level of visual processing. Certain shapes will attract our attention, even if not actually on a female, simple because our minds are 'primed' to spot such patterns.

It's a bit like why people see faces in toast burns and Mars - our mind has evolved to be particularly sensitive to this pattern, and to signal strongly when it detects it, even erroneously.

Firstly, this isn't just a man thing - women too can be very appreciative of attractive members of the opposite sex without having infidelity in mind.

Honestly, I know more women that check out other women than I do men, although I bet they have different genetic or subconscious reasons for doing so.

Because they Look Nice (attractive),

I agree with this too - I've been an artist for a long time, and I have no qualms in stating that when given a choice, I'll take any kind of woman as a subject than a guy any day of the week

I think it's more more basic - our minds are keyed to specifically recognize shapes associated with eligible, fertile mates, at the very basic level of visual processing. Certain shapes will attract our attention, even if not actually on a female, simple because our minds are 'primed' to spot such patterns.

It's a bit like why people see faces in toast burns and Mars - our mind has evolved to be particularly sensitive to this pattern, and to signal strongly when it detects it, even erroneously.

This is true and the reason men do it is that it is rewarding. I mean that in the basic biopsychological sense. Every time a man checks out a woman, it triggers the reward centres in the brain. The act itself is enough to trigger the reward so there doesn't nneed to be any intent behind it. It's an adaptive and strongly reinforced behaviour that is largely unconscious, although it can be controlled.

Honestly, I know more women that check out other women than I do men, although I bet they have different genetic or subconscious reasons for doing so.
Yes, competition and comparison. It's more calculating and less rewarding for females, but reinforced nonetheless.

and a Son due in May.

So, are you going to call him Mark then? :D

I always let my wife know if I have let my eyes stray. I think that honesty is the best way. She is fine with it and understands that it is male nature. I'd rather tell her than feel guilty.

• 2 weeks later...