Human Kibble

Where is it?

I'm hungry all the time (high metabolism, not overweight yet), and too busy/lazy to always make a well balanced meal. Is there a form of people chow out there, as opposed to dog/cat chow? I can't seem to find any info on it, and if it doesn't exist, why not? I would think that it should be possible to make a food for humans with all of the required vitamins, minerals, fats, proteins.

Even if it couldn't be recommended to eat some sort of human chow for every meal for long periods of time, I still think that it would help a lot of people (including myself) get a better intake of nutrients.

Thoughts?

I've always liked the idea of "Human Food" like the pet foods that are nutritionally complete and everything you'd ever need. We could call it Bachelor Chow or something. :P

I suspect the closest we already have is something like Ensure+.

I've always liked the idea of "Human Food" like the pet foods that are nutritionally complete and everything you'd ever need. We could call it Bachelor Chow or something. :P

I suspect the closest we already have is something like Ensure+.

:cool: haha yeah Futurama had the right idea. But does Ensure really fill you up like a solid food would? I've never had it, but it still is just a drink.

I really can't believe that nobody is cashing in on human kibble or bachelor chow. I've ate horrible tasting food by choice before before, and if it's nutritious as well, then that only adds to the incentive.

Not only for ourselves but also for solving the food crisis in "third world" countries. I love Ensure+ but it's so damned expensive. If I could afford to, I'd live off that stuff. :D

I don't know how filling it is for people with large appetites though, I've never really had one of those.

I know this is an old link, because it's from 2006, but it is still relevant. It seems this guy tried eating monkey chow for a week, hoping it would be close enough to a humans needs. Although he did have some problems by the end of the week in making the monkey chow leave his system.

How close would monkey chow be to what humans would need in nutrition?

Would it not be possible to ease yourself onto this diet so that one would not have any problems getting that chow back out the other end?

Why don't you go for a protein drink that's high in calories and has some carbs (nothing low carb, you'll be hungry in an hour). Or even muscle milk that has a decent amount of cals, filling, good fats. Even bars, I find them to be too much, but met-rx makes a colossal big 100 bar thats about 400+ cals and filling.

Why don't you go for a protein drink that's high in calories and has some carbs (nothing low carb, you'll be hungry in an hour). Or even muscle milk that has a decent amount of cals, filling, good fats. Even bars, I find them to be too much, but met-rx makes a colossal big 100 bar thats about 400+ cals and filling.

Well protein shakes and bars are full of good protein and carbs, but I was more hoping that something less expensive and full of vitamins as well had come out. Of course something like that would probably taste horrible but I could get over that.

I know this is an old link, because it's from 2006, but it is still relevant. It seems this guy tried eating monkey chow for a week, hoping it would be close enough to a humans needs. Although he did have some problems by the end of the week in making the monkey chow leave his system.

How close would monkey chow be to what humans would need in nutrition?

Would it not be possible to ease yourself onto this diet so that one would not have any problems getting that chow back out the other end?

The human diet has diverged significantly from what monkeys and even the other great apes eat - compared to chimps, for example, we eat a lot of the same things, but in much different proportions. Chimps eat mostly fruits and leaves with about 2 - 5% of their diet being meat and/or insects. Humans eat huge amounts of meat relatively speaking, as well as other proteins like nuts and roots. Fruits and greens too of course, but it's not the majority complement.

Besides, depending on what type of monkey that monkey chow was meant for, it could have been designed for a folivore. And we're definitely not folivores.

The human diet has diverged significantly from what monkeys and even the other great apes eat - compared to chimps, for example, we eat a lot of the same things, but in much different proportions. Chimps eat mostly fruits and leaves with about 2 - 5% of their diet being meat and/or insects. Humans eat huge amounts of meat relatively speaking, as well as other proteins like nuts and roots. Fruits and greens too of course, but it's not the majority complement.

Besides, depending on what type of monkey that monkey chow was meant for, it could have been designed for a folivore. And we're definitely not folivores.

Interesting, but does this mean that humans couldn't live an average life on, let's say, a chimp's diet? Because I know a lot of humans who eat a lot of junk food and other processed food that shouldn't be in their diet. So, wouldn't those people technically be better off on, a close enough to a good human diet, monkey chow?

Also, do you know what species would have the closest dietary requirements to a human?

Interesting, but does this mean that humans couldn't live an average life on, let's say, a chimp's diet? Because I know a lot of humans who eat a lot of junk food and other processed food that shouldn't be in their diet. So, wouldn't those people technically be better off on, a close enough to a good human diet, monkey chow?

That's a good question, and any vegetarian would probably give you an emphatic YES! I would say, not exactly like a chimp's diet. We don't have to eat animal meat but we do need high levels of protein in our diet compared to other primates, whether it comes from an animal or a plant.

Also, do you know what species would have the closest dietary requirements to a human?

Of the primates, none, really. No other primate eats as much animal meat as humans do, most certainly, and I'm fairly sure few eat as many proteins as we do in general. Don't quote me on that, though.

We are definitely apes, but we're really weird apes. Some researchers think our diet shift is the key to most of the extreme traits that make us different from other apes, so if you asked any of them if we would do well on a chimp's diet they'd probably say no.

Of the primates, none, really. No other primate eats as much animal meat as humans do, most certainly, and I'm fairly sure few eat as many proteins as we do in general. Don't quote me on that, though.

Chimpanzees would if they had half the chance. They've even eaten each other on occasion.

Chimpanzees would if they had half the chance. They've even eaten each other on occasion.

Of course they would. They would eat hamburgers just like we do if they could. They love meat and everybody begs for a piece after a hunt. But the question is what is a healthy diet. Like us chimpanzees crave what foods are rare but important so that they take advantage of the chance to eat it whenever they can. That's why we love fatty foods so much. But clearly our over-indulgence in what we crave hasn't done us so well health-wise.

And yes, it is not very uncommon at all for a feast to go on after infanticide has been committed. A baby chimp is probably just as tasty as a Colobus monkey.

Of course they would. They would eat hamburgers just like we do if they could. They love meat and everybody begs for a piece after a hunt. But the question is what is a healthy diet. Like us chimpanzees crave what foods are rare but important so that they take advantage of the chance to eat it whenever they can. That's why we love fatty foods so much. But clearly our over-indulgence in what we crave hasn't done us so well health-wise.

And yes, it is not very uncommon at all for a feast to go on after infanticide has been committed. A baby chimp is probably just as tasty as a Colobus monkey.

Stop, you're making me hungry! :D

No other primate eats as much animal meat as humans do

Then there should be the question of whether that is good for us? I'm far from being a vegetarian, but do we need to eat as much meat as we do? Protein is great, but that can come from other sources just as easy, if not easier.

Then there should be the question of whether that is good for us? I'm far from being a vegetarian, but do we need to eat as much meat as we do? Protein is great, but that can come from other sources just as easy, if not easier.

Remember that I'm speaking in relative terms - I'm not suggesting every human needs to eat a 10 lb steak at every meal :P But one or two reasonable portions of meat a day is much more than any chimpanzee gets. Remember also that the meat we evolved to eat is the leaner meat of wild animals; the domesticated meat we eat today is chock-full of fat. Like I said before, any vegetarian will tell you that you can get all the protein you need from plant foods and that's true. It's just far easier to get your dose with meat.

Remember that I'm speaking in relative terms - I'm not suggesting every human needs to eat a 10 lb steak at every meal :P But one or two reasonable portions of meat a day is much more than any chimpanzee gets. Remember also that the meat we evolved to eat is the leaner meat of wild animals; the domesticated meat we eat today is chock-full of fat. Like I said before, any vegetarian will tell you that you can get all the protein you need from plant foods and that's true. It's just far easier to get your dose with meat.

Understood. And meat tastes so much better :D Although I do remember that the crazy fictional apes in the 1995 version of the movie Congo also had a taste for lots of flesh. ;)

• 2 months later...

Human chow would greatly benefit athletes as well. Cutting and bulking for bodybuilders and figure athletes would be especially easier, having a precise knowledge of how many nutrients and calories they're consuming.

If I'm feeling too lazy to prepare a nutritious meal I'll make a shake with ice, milk, whey protein, natural peanut butter, oats, olive oil. Takes a bit of work but with my serving sizes it's about a good 600 calories and it keeps me satisfied for a few hours. :cool:

Soylent green? It's people! PEOPLE! PEOPLE! Ummmm could you pass me the neck bone and rice? The peasants are quite tasty today, must be the new human chow we've been feeding them!

I know that some bush pilots (watch the remarks!) carry dry dog food with them in case of a crash so they will have something to eat. How long can a person eat a good quality dog food before he gasps his last bark?

Yesterday I was buying a 2 large bags of Purina dog chow at Walmart, for my dogs Winston, Chief, Gus, and Maximus. I was about to check out when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog. What did she think, that I had an elephant?

Since I had little else to do, on impulse, I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, and that I was starting the Purina Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I ended up in the hospital last time. On the bright side though, I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of every hole in my body and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry and that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was enthralled with my story by now.)

Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food had poisoned me. I told her no; I had stopped in the middle of the parking lot to lick my butt and a car hit me.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack, he was laughing so hard!

WAL-MART won't let me shop there anymore.

:doh: