Psychology and Vision

HI I was wondering if anyone here knew of any cases of someone being blind from birth and schizophrenic, or blind from birth with panic attacks. I can't find a single example of either, but I know some people here have access to better resources than I do. I'm trying to test the hypothesis that these mental disorders are caused by a visual phenomenon (thus blind people should be immune).

Thanks in advance for any help.

In the first link I didn't see any text or any indication that this meets the criteria. In the second one, how do you know the person was blind from birth? Does it say that somewhere? I need to cite my claims. Thanks again.

The first link doesn't have an abstract, but does have all the reference info you need to look it up in your school's archives.

For the second, it's in the title of the blog, but also in the very first post in the archives.

Perfect....thanks again.

Supposedly there were only two cases in all of medical history...I guess one has a blog :P I'm sure my friend will denounce the blog as hearsay, but if I can get the pubmed one to work from the library or something, that should do it.

After a little more research while waiting on a response, it seems like most of the argument was pulled verbatum from this site:

http://www.visionandpsychosis.net/

Usual nonsense, or is there something to this? I can concede that the whole "chemical imbalance" approach to mental illness is highly suspect, but this solution seems too simplistic to me.

This site lists Qi Gong (thinking you have powers), "Indigo children", Latah, and Jumping Frenchman of Maine disorder as all parts of the same continuum of psychosis.

So, two nobodies from obscure schools, and a paper which is flatly labeled as "an opinion piece" in a journal with a highly suspect review process?

Yeah, they're cranks, and I'm becoming more and more critical of PloS by the day.

Thanks man seriously...I need to get back to work, but please check this thread later today because I have a few follow up questions. (sorry I just like to have a really good understanding of things before I debate them).

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Sorry, it took me longer than i thought to get back to this...

So, two nobodies from obscure schools, and a paper which is flatly labeled as "an opinion piece" in a journal with a highly suspect review process?

Yeah, they're cranks, and I'm becoming more and more critical of PloS by the day.

I guess my initial issue has been addressed. I will try to start a new thread about the chemical imbalance theory in the next few days. Thanks again for your help.

Why schizophrenia is not likely just a visual phenomenon:

According to the American Psychiatric Association, patients with a diagnosis for schizophrenia should meet following criteria:

1) Characteristic symptoms e.g. delusions and grossly disorganized behavior, lack or decline of emotional response, etc...

2) Social/occupational dysfunction for a significant of time since onset of symptoms

3) Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least six months

Do you think vision is absolutely required for someone to become delusional and unresponsive?