Spontaneous Self Combustion

mooeypoo

Hi,

I've heard about this phenomena and saw it on some movies (yes, of course horror/tension movies) and I just wanted to know if that thing EXISTS, and what causes it (if known).

many thanks,

~moo

Spontanious Human Combustion, there is a leading theory that states that it is all due to the "Wick Effect".

exploiting a long "cooking" time that dries out the moist parts and uses natural body fats to keep this flame lit.

how true it is, I don`t know, but it is the current theory amongst many pathologists and coroners :)

Indeed it can, I`ve seen an experiment done with a whole Pig (it was dead at the time).

they did an experiment for the "wick" effect and it was perfectly succesfull.

as to the cause it`s unknown in some cases, but others ARE of known ignition sources.

but due to the nature of the fire type, forensic evidence is often destroyed along with the victim or at least parts of the victim. and so that will remain a mystery!? :)

yeah... what can cause such a thing? In one movie i saw they said that Alcohol mixed with smoking can cause that, but it sounds.. err.. too general. Not all who smoke and drink explode..

Any ideas what might cause it?

I've heard many stories about skeleton's self combustion and it said that the combustion is due to the phosphor in the skeleton. In chemistry class I have also learnt that phosphor is tend to self combust.

But I am not perfectly sure about it.

bones are made of various compounds. one of these compounds is calcium phosphate: Ca3(PO4)2

phosphates tend to store great amounts of energy in their bonds (we use adenosine triphosphate for our own energy in cellular respiration). so, i do understand the theory stated above that concerned bones. it's possible, although i myself believe that spontaneous combustion involves organic compounds, specifically smaller alkanes.

Oh, i though he said skeletons, that are dead...well not dead skeletons...skeletons that have no more flesh on them.

Yes, I meant the dead. In the past, inhumation was prevailing in China and it was not surprising that there were skeletons exposure to air in campo santo. Some old men said they had seen skeletons' self combustion in campo santo in their childhood. I just heard it, but have never seen it.

calcium phosphate is easily converted to Phosphoric acid in the presece of sulphuric acid, making calcium sulphate (almost insoluble and very stable), sulphuric acid isn`t uncommon in acid rain either.

phosphoric acid can be converted to phosphorus by the action of carbon. this is all a real stretch of credibility and would certainly require an unusual set of events (the carbon/phosphorus conversion part). but it`s certainly not impossible either :)

as to whether this is the cause or not, I can`t say, but that`s certainly how you would get white Phos, and that stuff does burn!