Sodium from Sodium hydroxide

Rob

Ok, again, in my search for sodium, as my last thread was shut down by the moderator and i can't generate the heat needed to make Sodium from liquid Sodium Chloride, Is there any way of getting sodium (by SIMPLE electrolysis or anything else that doesn't need something more reactive than sodium to get rid of it) out of Sodium Hydroxide that i've obtained fro the electrolysis of aqueous Sodium Chloride?

Cheers.

In regards to this predicament, I'm sure you can obtain sodium, by means of an electrolysis of sodium hydroxide, obtaining sodium metal, at the negative electrode, and hydroxide anions on the positive electrode. Hope this helps,

,Theophrastus

Edited by Theophrastus
grammatical error...

what you probably havent considered is the danger of melting sodium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide is horribly caustic, causing very nasty burns to the skin. Melting it would mean you'd have liquid burning-stuff fizzing and bubbling under your nose at more than 300°C. The vapours would be very unpleasant. It'd also be much more reactive at such high temperatures. Just a drop of water might make it splatter everywhere. My advice is not to do this.

But yes, in theory it could be done, with the appropriate apparatus, i think... although i'm not sure what would happen to your hydroxide ions.

In regards to the hydroxide ions, I would imagine that one could safely dispose of them by then transfering the vapours into an appropriate solution, in which they might then react to form stable, insoluble hydroxides. As for your comment regarding the heat of the compound, you are right. I was thinking, in more of a hypothetical context. Hydroxide, is an ionic compound, and as such, would be expected to have a rather high boiling point. In regards to a more practical approach, I am at a bit of a loss. Could not one intermix another compound, perhaps some other alkali or alkali earth metal salt, to decrease the boiling point. (Granted that the question is, to what degree can this be done...) However this would leave you with an alloy of the two metals. Alkali metal alloys in particular, are infamous, due to their instability. Certainly a process that is neither easy, nor safe.

the only two remotely viable ways i know of to get sodium by electrolysis (which isn't magical or simple like every beginner seems to believe), are as follows:

1) use molten sodium chloride and try not to burn yourself to death

2) use a liquid mercury cathode with a concentrated solution of NaCl to give a very high overpotential for the chlorine and oxygen gases, making the sodium the most likely product, which conveniently dissolves in the mercury. All you have to deal with then is the separation of a highly toxic metal from another metal which causes burns and explodes on contact with water.