Involution vs. Invagination

Hi,

I'm hoping that the Developmental Biology goes in here... If not, sorry. Feel free to move this.

Anyway, I am reading about the frog gastrulation, and I am very confused in the difference between invagination and involution. I understand the term invagination when referred to sea urchin (i.e. it's like pinching in I think) but I guess it's hard for me to visualize the term, along with involution, in the context of frog. Also, my book (Campbell) uses the term "dorsal lip" but I can't really find "lip." Please help!

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I'm hoping that the Developmental Biology goes in here... If not, sorry. Feel free to move this.

Anyway, I am reading about the frog gastrulation, and I am very confused in the difference between invagination and involution. I understand the term invagination when referred to sea urchin (i.e. it's like pinching in I think) but I guess it's hard for me to visualize the term, along with involution, in the context of frog. Also, my book (Campbell) uses the term "dorsal lip" but I can't really find "lip." Please help!

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/biochem/holdener/ho11_s99.html

Didn't have time to read the entire article, but that might clear things up.

xenopus_gastrulation_1.jpg