Editing the Firefox Dictionary

Pangloss

Ran into this bit of weirdness earlier today and I know there's a lot of FF users here so I thought I'd pass it along. It's easy to accidentally add a misspelled word to Firefox's dictionary with that right-click menu, but getting that bad word out of there is a bit of a nuisance. Here's how you do it:

Open the following location on your hard drive, where "xxxxx" is the random number given for that folder (might be easier to open the folder above this location -- there's only one folder inside, and it will be the one listed below):

Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

Windows Vista:

C:\users\[user Name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

Then look for a file called "persdict.dat". This file can be edited with Notepad or any other text editor. The entries are not separated -- they're all run together. Go figure. Edit out the offending word, save, and go back to work.

Source:

http://cavemonkey50.com/2007/03/edit-firefoxs-spelling-dictionary/