Covalent and Ionic Bonds

Fyre4Man

Okay so I want to know everything about Covalent Bonds and Ionic bonds. And what is the differences between them, and how you identify which molecules have either covalent or ionic bonds, etc. Thanks for telling me.:)

I'd like to answer this in detail but:

a) I dont have much time and

b) this seems a little bit like it might be a homework question and we only HELP with those, rather than actually answer them.

Two suggestions:

-use our search engine... this question has probably already been answered by our members

-try googling "chemical bonding"

I know what you guys are think, but this isn't a homework question. And I already know the general picture, I just wanted to know more in depth. Anyway thanks for the website it help me get a better understanding.

I know what you guys are think, but this isn't a homework question. And I already know the general picture, I just wanted to know more in depth. Anyway thanks for the website it help me get a better understanding.

If you want to take a peek at a more accurate picture, google Molecular Orbital theory.

[...]

Ionic bonds are much stronger then covalent bonds.

Could you either explain that or provide some reference? I would disagree that this is always true, and I'm not sure it's a good idea to even compare the two.

There exist weak ionic bonds, and very strong covalent bonds. Nitrogen (N2), with a triple bond, has a very strong bond. If you look up the bond energy (in J/mol) and you compare it to the lattice energy of soms salts (also in J/mol), then you'll find that the bond energy of nitrogen is higher than the lattice energy of some of the salts.

But I wonder if it's such a good idea to compare the two at all:

- Most salts exist in a lattice, and have interactions with all the neighboring ions (both of opposite charge and similar charge).

- Covalent bonds are typically between two atoms, and that particular interaction between those two atoms is typically stronger than the interactions with other atoms in the immediate surroundings.

And then there are the ionic liquids, which are often organic components with lots of covalent bonds, but that also carry a charge. This causes some ionic bonds too.

Bonds strength in ionic bonds also is determined by how well the lattice fits. For example, in the ionic liquids, the lattice fits very badly (so badly that it often doesn't even form, and ions move around at random). The charges cannot approach each other very well... which means that the ionic bond energy (I'm not sure you can even speak of a lattice energy here) is low.

I'm sorry if I put too much info here (it's a science forum), but there are too many parameters to be able to say "this is stronger than the other".

• 4 years later...

A covalent bond is when two atoms share electrons. CH4

An ionic bond occurs when there is a complete electron exchange: Na+Cl-

Ionic bonds are much stronger then covalent bonds.

Good that someone replied.

though here is the wikipedia link that can be referred.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covalent_bond

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionic_bond

and if you wanna go in more details

ask experts at (commercial link removed by moderator)

Edited by CaptainPanic

!

Moderator Note

Suzidemello,

We appreciate that you are trying to help, but please do not end your posts with a commercial link. Companies generally have sufficient means to do their own marketing, and do not need the help of our forum.

Also, this thread is from 2009, and you add little extra information (wikipedia was mentioned before). It does suggest that your only purpose here is to post that commercial link. This is your first and last warning. Next time you will be banned as a spammer.